Jun 15, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
The Boston Bruins didn’t have Nathan Horton or Adam McQuaid in the playoffs because they were both dealing with concussions. However, months after the Bruins were eliminated, the news regarding both of them is good.
McQuaid missed significantly less time than Horton and hasn’t experienced concussion symptoms in weeks.
“I’m told by our doctors that McQuaid was in [Boston] last week and he was cleared,” said Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
On the other hand, Horton hasn’t played since Jan. 22 and there’s been some bumps in his road to recovery. Still, he seems to be making progress.
“[Horton] was in last week as well and is close to being cleared. He’s starting some exertion exercises,” said Chiarelli. “But he looked great and there ‘should be no problems’ [being ready for next season].”
Getting both players back would be a big relief for the Bruins. The absence of Horton in particular was felt as the Bruins struggled to overcome Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby in the first round.
“[Horton’s injury] was big. We’re a deep team, but we’re also a very balanced team. If you lose one thing from our team then it throws everything else off. That’s what happened to a certain degree,” said Chiarelli. “You missed his size, you missed his skating and you missed his shot. [Horton’s absence] takes away from that top line to throw them off-balance and one of our strengths from last year – the third line – they were thrown off-kilter as well.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 68
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 90
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (115)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (102)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)