Jun 15, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins didn’t have Nathan Horton or Adam McQuaid in the playoffs because they were both dealing with concussions. However, months after the Bruins were eliminated, the news regarding both of them is good.
McQuaid missed significantly less time than Horton and hasn’t experienced concussion symptoms in weeks.
“I’m told by our doctors that McQuaid was in [Boston] last week and he was cleared,” said Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
On the other hand, Horton hasn’t played since Jan. 22 and there’s been some bumps in his road to recovery. Still, he seems to be making progress.
“[Horton] was in last week as well and is close to being cleared. He’s starting some exertion exercises,” said Chiarelli. “But he looked great and there ‘should be no problems’ [being ready for next season].”
Getting both players back would be a big relief for the Bruins. The absence of Horton in particular was felt as the Bruins struggled to overcome Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby in the first round.
“[Horton’s injury] was big. We’re a deep team, but we’re also a very balanced team. If you lose one thing from our team then it throws everything else off. That’s what happened to a certain degree,” said Chiarelli. “You missed his size, you missed his skating and you missed his shot. [Horton’s absence] takes away from that top line to throw them off-balance and one of our strengths from last year – the third line – they were thrown off-kilter as well.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)