Jun 15, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins didn’t have Nathan Horton or Adam McQuaid in the playoffs because they were both dealing with concussions. However, months after the Bruins were eliminated, the news regarding both of them is good.
McQuaid missed significantly less time than Horton and hasn’t experienced concussion symptoms in weeks.
“I’m told by our doctors that McQuaid was in [Boston] last week and he was cleared,” said Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
On the other hand, Horton hasn’t played since Jan. 22 and there’s been some bumps in his road to recovery. Still, he seems to be making progress.
“[Horton] was in last week as well and is close to being cleared. He’s starting some exertion exercises,” said Chiarelli. “But he looked great and there ‘should be no problems’ [being ready for next season].”
Getting both players back would be a big relief for the Bruins. The absence of Horton in particular was felt as the Bruins struggled to overcome Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby in the first round.
“[Horton’s injury] was big. We’re a deep team, but we’re also a very balanced team. If you lose one thing from our team then it throws everything else off. That’s what happened to a certain degree,” said Chiarelli. “You missed his size, you missed his skating and you missed his shot. [Horton’s absence] takes away from that top line to throw them off-balance and one of our strengths from last year – the third line – they were thrown off-kilter as well.”
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)