Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
According to Steve Lloyd of TEAM 1200 Ottawa, Senators GM Bryan Murray has severed ties with Nikita Filatov.
“He signed [in Russia],” Murray said in explaining why he’s not going to make Filatov a qualifying offer. “He made the decision.”
The news hardly comes as a surprise. In May, Filatov signed a two-year deal with Salavaty Yulaev of the KHL, essentially severing whatever ties he had left to the NHL.
That decision came after Filatov already spurned the Ottawa organization in December, by not reporting for assignment to AHL Binghamton.
If this is indeed the final nail in Filatov’s NHL coffin, it leaves a legacy of unfulfilled promise. The highly-skilled Russian — taken ahead of Erik Karlsson, Cody Hodgson, Tyler Myers, Jordan Eberle and Michael Del Zotto at the ’08 draft — initially drew comparisons to Ilya Kovalchuk and broke onto the scene by scoring in his NHL debut, then notching a hat trick four games later.
But rifts with management (most notably in Columbus) and a lack of interest in learning the defensive side of the game became his undoing.
On the plus side, he did give us the “Filly don’t do rebounds” story, which is a beaut.
- Trade: Rangers land Keith Yandle 3
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 19
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (129)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)