Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
According to Steve Lloyd of TEAM 1200 Ottawa, Senators GM Bryan Murray has severed ties with Nikita Filatov.
“He signed [in Russia],” Murray said in explaining why he’s not going to make Filatov a qualifying offer. “He made the decision.”
The news hardly comes as a surprise. In May, Filatov signed a two-year deal with Salavaty Yulaev of the KHL, essentially severing whatever ties he had left to the NHL.
That decision came after Filatov already spurned the Ottawa organization in December, by not reporting for assignment to AHL Binghamton.
If this is indeed the final nail in Filatov’s NHL coffin, it leaves a legacy of unfulfilled promise. The highly-skilled Russian — taken ahead of Erik Karlsson, Cody Hodgson, Tyler Myers, Jordan Eberle and Michael Del Zotto at the ’08 draft — initially drew comparisons to Ilya Kovalchuk and broke onto the scene by scoring in his NHL debut, then notching a hat trick four games later.
But rifts with management (most notably in Columbus) and a lack of interest in learning the defensive side of the game became his undoing.
On the plus side, he did give us the “Filly don’t do rebounds” story, which is a beaut.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)