Jun 14, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
Remember a few days ago when it was reported that the Flyers were upset at James van Riemsdyk for delaying surgery on his torn labrum? Flyers GM Paul Holmgren later denied those claims and said that his surgery was being held up due to a foot infection.
Well, now there’s a new twist on the story: according to TSN’s Darren Dreger he doesn’t need surgery after all. On top of that, he should be fine for the start of training camp.
There’s still, of course, the possibility that van Riemsdyk might be traded over the summer. It’s been speculated in the past that he might be included in a Rick Nash deal — but that obviously doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen.
Going into the 2011-12 campaign, van Riemsdyk was seen as a breakout candidate. Instead, he was limited to just 43 regular season games in an injury-plagued campaign.
He’s still just 23 and it certainly wouldn’t be surprising if he takes a big step forward in 2012-13. At the same time, the fact that his six-year/$25.5 million contract begins next season is both a potential reason why the Flyers might be open to dealing him, and a factor that will temper his trade value.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)