Jun 14, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
Remember a few days ago when it was reported that the Flyers were upset at James van Riemsdyk for delaying surgery on his torn labrum? Flyers GM Paul Holmgren later denied those claims and said that his surgery was being held up due to a foot infection.
Well, now there’s a new twist on the story: according to TSN’s Darren Dreger he doesn’t need surgery after all. On top of that, he should be fine for the start of training camp.
There’s still, of course, the possibility that van Riemsdyk might be traded over the summer. It’s been speculated in the past that he might be included in a Rick Nash deal — but that obviously doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen.
Going into the 2011-12 campaign, van Riemsdyk was seen as a breakout candidate. Instead, he was limited to just 43 regular season games in an injury-plagued campaign.
He’s still just 23 and it certainly wouldn’t be surprising if he takes a big step forward in 2012-13. At the same time, the fact that his six-year/$25.5 million contract begins next season is both a potential reason why the Flyers might be open to dealing him, and a factor that will temper his trade value.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 71
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 19
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 29
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (71)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)