Jun 14, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT
Remember a few days ago when it was reported that the Flyers were upset at James van Riemsdyk for delaying surgery on his torn labrum? Flyers GM Paul Holmgren later denied those claims and said that his surgery was being held up due to a foot infection.
Well, now there’s a new twist on the story: according to TSN’s Darren Dreger he doesn’t need surgery after all. On top of that, he should be fine for the start of training camp.
There’s still, of course, the possibility that van Riemsdyk might be traded over the summer. It’s been speculated in the past that he might be included in a Rick Nash deal — but that obviously doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen.
Going into the 2011-12 campaign, van Riemsdyk was seen as a breakout candidate. Instead, he was limited to just 43 regular season games in an injury-plagued campaign.
He’s still just 23 and it certainly wouldn’t be surprising if he takes a big step forward in 2012-13. At the same time, the fact that his six-year/$25.5 million contract begins next season is both a potential reason why the Flyers might be open to dealing him, and a factor that will temper his trade value.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)