Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Looks as though the Canadiens will add another experienced hockey man to their staff.
According to a report from TSN Radio 1050, Habs GM Marc Bergevin will soon name Gerard Gallant as an assistant to new head coach Michel Therrien. It’s expected former player development coach Clement Jodoin will be named the other assistant coach soon.
A solid goalscorer with Detroit in the 80s, Gallant broke into coaching in 1999 and was named the third head coach in Blue Jackets history in 2003 — only to be fired in 2007.
From there, he spent time as an assistant with the Islanders and the head coach for QMJHL Saint John, where he won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012. He was also twice named CHL coach of the year.
Assuming the Gallant hire goes through, it will be just the latest in Montreal’s complete coaching and front-office overhaul. Bergevin (GM), Therrien (head coach), Sylvain Lefebvre (head coach AHL Hamilton), Patrice Brisebois (player development coach), and Martin Lapointe (director of player development) have all been added since the end of the regular season.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 0
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 25
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)