Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Looks as though the Canadiens will add another experienced hockey man to their staff.
According to a report from TSN Radio 1050, Habs GM Marc Bergevin will soon name Gerard Gallant as an assistant to new head coach Michel Therrien. It’s expected former player development coach Clement Jodoin will be named the other assistant coach soon.
A solid goalscorer with Detroit in the 80s, Gallant broke into coaching in 1999 and was named the third head coach in Blue Jackets history in 2003 — only to be fired in 2007.
From there, he spent time as an assistant with the Islanders and the head coach for QMJHL Saint John, where he won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012. He was also twice named CHL coach of the year.
Assuming the Gallant hire goes through, it will be just the latest in Montreal’s complete coaching and front-office overhaul. Bergevin (GM), Therrien (head coach), Sylvain Lefebvre (head coach AHL Hamilton), Patrice Brisebois (player development coach), and Martin Lapointe (director of player development) have all been added since the end of the regular season.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)