Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EST
Looks as though the Canadiens will add another experienced hockey man to their staff.
According to a report from TSN Radio 1050, Habs GM Marc Bergevin will soon name Gerard Gallant as an assistant to new head coach Michel Therrien. It’s expected former player development coach Clement Jodoin will be named the other assistant coach soon.
A solid goalscorer with Detroit in the 80s, Gallant broke into coaching in 1999 and was named the third head coach in Blue Jackets history in 2003 — only to be fired in 2007.
From there, he spent time as an assistant with the Islanders and the head coach for QMJHL Saint John, where he won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012. He was also twice named CHL coach of the year.
Assuming the Gallant hire goes through, it will be just the latest in Montreal’s complete coaching and front-office overhaul. Bergevin (GM), Therrien (head coach), Sylvain Lefebvre (head coach AHL Hamilton), Patrice Brisebois (player development coach), and Martin Lapointe (director of player development) have all been added since the end of the regular season.
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 0
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)