Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Looks as though the Canadiens will add another experienced hockey man to their staff.
According to a report from TSN Radio 1050, Habs GM Marc Bergevin will soon name Gerard Gallant as an assistant to new head coach Michel Therrien. It’s expected former player development coach Clement Jodoin will be named the other assistant coach soon.
A solid goalscorer with Detroit in the 80s, Gallant broke into coaching in 1999 and was named the third head coach in Blue Jackets history in 2003 — only to be fired in 2007.
From there, he spent time as an assistant with the Islanders and the head coach for QMJHL Saint John, where he won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012. He was also twice named CHL coach of the year.
Assuming the Gallant hire goes through, it will be just the latest in Montreal’s complete coaching and front-office overhaul. Bergevin (GM), Therrien (head coach), Sylvain Lefebvre (head coach AHL Hamilton), Patrice Brisebois (player development coach), and Martin Lapointe (director of player development) have all been added since the end of the regular season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)