Jun 14, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Looks as though the Canadiens will add another experienced hockey man to their staff.
According to a report from TSN Radio 1050, Habs GM Marc Bergevin will soon name Gerard Gallant as an assistant to new head coach Michel Therrien. It’s expected former player development coach Clement Jodoin will be named the other assistant coach soon.
A solid goalscorer with Detroit in the 80s, Gallant broke into coaching in 1999 and was named the third head coach in Blue Jackets history in 2003 — only to be fired in 2007.
From there, he spent time as an assistant with the Islanders and the head coach for QMJHL Saint John, where he won back-to-back league titles in 2011 and 2012. He was also twice named CHL coach of the year.
Assuming the Gallant hire goes through, it will be just the latest in Montreal’s complete coaching and front-office overhaul. Bergevin (GM), Therrien (head coach), Sylvain Lefebvre (head coach AHL Hamilton), Patrice Brisebois (player development coach), and Martin Lapointe (director of player development) have all been added since the end of the regular season.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 33
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 31
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 105
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (105)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement