Jun 14, 2012, 8:06 AM EST
After a successful comeback season, Petr Sykora wants to stay in the NHL. He had to fight for a roster spot in the Devils’ 2011 training camp, but he might not have quite as hard a time getting a contract this summer.
“You never know what’s going to happen, but I think I had a good enough season to come back here next year,” said Sykora. “I’m going to do my best. I felt that I did my best during the regular season. I don’t know. Twenty goals, Stanley Cup Finals, I hope it’s going to work out.”
Sykora understands that with the CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, GMs will have quite a few unanswered questions when the free agent market opens on July 1. With that kind of uncertainty, it might take longer than it otherwise would have for Sykora to get a contract. All the same, he’s willing to be patient.
His top priority is to play in the NHL, but if he had a choice, he’d like to stay in New Jersey.
“I love playing here, I love the area, I love New Jersey, so, for sure, my priority is to play in New Jersey, but in this business, you just never know,” Sykora said.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)