Jun 14, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
After a successful comeback season, Petr Sykora wants to stay in the NHL. He had to fight for a roster spot in the Devils’ 2011 training camp, but he might not have quite as hard a time getting a contract this summer.
“You never know what’s going to happen, but I think I had a good enough season to come back here next year,” said Sykora. “I’m going to do my best. I felt that I did my best during the regular season. I don’t know. Twenty goals, Stanley Cup Finals, I hope it’s going to work out.”
Sykora understands that with the CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, GMs will have quite a few unanswered questions when the free agent market opens on July 1. With that kind of uncertainty, it might take longer than it otherwise would have for Sykora to get a contract. All the same, he’s willing to be patient.
His top priority is to play in the NHL, but if he had a choice, he’d like to stay in New Jersey.
“I love playing here, I love the area, I love New Jersey, so, for sure, my priority is to play in New Jersey, but in this business, you just never know,” Sykora said.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)