Jun 14, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
After a successful comeback season, Petr Sykora wants to stay in the NHL. He had to fight for a roster spot in the Devils’ 2011 training camp, but he might not have quite as hard a time getting a contract this summer.
“You never know what’s going to happen, but I think I had a good enough season to come back here next year,” said Sykora. “I’m going to do my best. I felt that I did my best during the regular season. I don’t know. Twenty goals, Stanley Cup Finals, I hope it’s going to work out.”
Sykora understands that with the CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, GMs will have quite a few unanswered questions when the free agent market opens on July 1. With that kind of uncertainty, it might take longer than it otherwise would have for Sykora to get a contract. All the same, he’s willing to be patient.
His top priority is to play in the NHL, but if he had a choice, he’d like to stay in New Jersey.
“I love playing here, I love the area, I love New Jersey, so, for sure, my priority is to play in New Jersey, but in this business, you just never know,” Sykora said.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 7
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 68
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 57
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (96)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (78)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save