Jun 14, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
After a successful comeback season, Petr Sykora wants to stay in the NHL. He had to fight for a roster spot in the Devils’ 2011 training camp, but he might not have quite as hard a time getting a contract this summer.
“You never know what’s going to happen, but I think I had a good enough season to come back here next year,” said Sykora. “I’m going to do my best. I felt that I did my best during the regular season. I don’t know. Twenty goals, Stanley Cup Finals, I hope it’s going to work out.”
Sykora understands that with the CBA set to expire on Sept. 15, GMs will have quite a few unanswered questions when the free agent market opens on July 1. With that kind of uncertainty, it might take longer than it otherwise would have for Sykora to get a contract. All the same, he’s willing to be patient.
His top priority is to play in the NHL, but if he had a choice, he’d like to stay in New Jersey.
“I love playing here, I love the area, I love New Jersey, so, for sure, my priority is to play in New Jersey, but in this business, you just never know,” Sykora said.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)