Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 PM EST
Earlier this season, it looked like Dustin Penner‘s tenure with the Kings would end this summer. Now, after a terrific playoff run, Penner is hoping to stay with the Los Angeles and the feeling is probably mutual.
It certainly helps that he’s willing to take less money to make it happen.
Penner is coming off of a five-year/$21.25 million contract. You might assume that he would be in line for a big pay cut this summer, but that might not be the case if he does test the free agent waters.
There will likely be a significant shortage of top-six forwards that make it to the UFA list and that might make even a risky guy like Penner very appealing to a number of teams. After all, he’s still not too far removed from a 32-goal season, he was great in the playoffs, and he’s a two-time Stanley Cup winner.
It would not be a shock if a GM felt optimistic about him and decided to offer him a contract that reflected that optimism.
With that in mind, the fact that Penner wants to stay in Los Angeles and is open to taking a pay cut is a meaningful development.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)