Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
Earlier this season, it looked like Dustin Penner‘s tenure with the Kings would end this summer. Now, after a terrific playoff run, Penner is hoping to stay with the Los Angeles and the feeling is probably mutual.
It certainly helps that he’s willing to take less money to make it happen.
Penner is coming off of a five-year/$21.25 million contract. You might assume that he would be in line for a big pay cut this summer, but that might not be the case if he does test the free agent waters.
There will likely be a significant shortage of top-six forwards that make it to the UFA list and that might make even a risky guy like Penner very appealing to a number of teams. After all, he’s still not too far removed from a 32-goal season, he was great in the playoffs, and he’s a two-time Stanley Cup winner.
It would not be a shock if a GM felt optimistic about him and decided to offer him a contract that reflected that optimism.
With that in mind, the fact that Penner wants to stay in Los Angeles and is open to taking a pay cut is a meaningful development.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)