Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
Washington Capitals GM George McPhee met with the media today to discuss the future of his club — a future that could be without the services of Dean Evason and Jim Johnson.
McPhee said “probably not” when asked if Caps’ assistant coaches would return for the 2012-13 season. Evason is the longest-tenured coach on Washington’s staff (since 2005) while Johnson joined last year after Dale Hunter replaced Bruce Boudreau as head coach.
While Johnson’s departure wouldn’t be that shocking — he was tied to the Hunter regime, and the Hunter regime is over — seeing Evason go would be a surprise.
He’d been rumored as a candidate for the head coaching gig and has proven to be a versatile assistant, having coached under three different bench bosses (Glen Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter) since joining Washington’s staff.
Speaking of Washington’s head coaching gig, McPhee said he had no timetable for a hire and stressed he didn’t need anyone in place by the draft or July 1 free agency period. He noted that New Jersey waited until July 19 last year before hiring Peter Deboer, which worked out well for the Devils.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 72
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (72)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)