Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Washington Capitals GM George McPhee met with the media today to discuss the future of his club — a future that could be without the services of Dean Evason and Jim Johnson.
McPhee said “probably not” when asked if Caps’ assistant coaches would return for the 2012-13 season. Evason is the longest-tenured coach on Washington’s staff (since 2005) while Johnson joined last year after Dale Hunter replaced Bruce Boudreau as head coach.
While Johnson’s departure wouldn’t be that shocking — he was tied to the Hunter regime, and the Hunter regime is over — seeing Evason go would be a surprise.
He’d been rumored as a candidate for the head coaching gig and has proven to be a versatile assistant, having coached under three different bench bosses (Glen Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter) since joining Washington’s staff.
Speaking of Washington’s head coaching gig, McPhee said he had no timetable for a hire and stressed he didn’t need anyone in place by the draft or July 1 free agency period. He noted that New Jersey waited until July 19 last year before hiring Peter Deboer, which worked out well for the Devils.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)