Jun 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Just days after winning the Calder Cup, the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals are looking for a new parent club. The one they’ve had since 2007, the Tampa Bay Lightning, has signed an affiliation agreement with the Syracuse Crunch.
The Admirals released a statement on their website assuring fans the team isn’t going anywhere and that they “anticipate announcing an affiliation agreement” with an NHL club “in the near future.”
The Virginian-Pilot reports that the NHL club could be the Anaheim Ducks, who have been the parent of the Crunch the past two seasons.
Lightning VP and Admirals’ GM Julien Brisebois tells the paper the move is being made to cut down on bus travel.
“We have no problem with the city, with the arena, with ownership of the Admirals,” Brisebois said. “I think it makes a huge difference in the wear and tear on the players. A good night’s sleep on a regular basis is important.”
As you can see here, Norfolk’s division rivals — Binghamton, Syracuse, Hershey and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton — are a ways away.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 4
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful