Jun 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Just days after winning the Calder Cup, the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals are looking for a new parent club. The one they’ve had since 2007, the Tampa Bay Lightning, has signed an affiliation agreement with the Syracuse Crunch.
The Admirals released a statement on their website assuring fans the team isn’t going anywhere and that they “anticipate announcing an affiliation agreement” with an NHL club “in the near future.”
The Virginian-Pilot reports that the NHL club could be the Anaheim Ducks, who have been the parent of the Crunch the past two seasons.
Lightning VP and Admirals’ GM Julien Brisebois tells the paper the move is being made to cut down on bus travel.
“We have no problem with the city, with the arena, with ownership of the Admirals,” Brisebois said. “I think it makes a huge difference in the wear and tear on the players. A good night’s sleep on a regular basis is important.”
As you can see here, Norfolk’s division rivals — Binghamton, Syracuse, Hershey and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton — are a ways away.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (48)