Jun 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Just days after winning the Calder Cup, the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals are looking for a new parent club. The one they’ve had since 2007, the Tampa Bay Lightning, has signed an affiliation agreement with the Syracuse Crunch.
The Admirals released a statement on their website assuring fans the team isn’t going anywhere and that they “anticipate announcing an affiliation agreement” with an NHL club “in the near future.”
The Virginian-Pilot reports that the NHL club could be the Anaheim Ducks, who have been the parent of the Crunch the past two seasons.
Lightning VP and Admirals’ GM Julien Brisebois tells the paper the move is being made to cut down on bus travel.
“We have no problem with the city, with the arena, with ownership of the Admirals,” Brisebois said. “I think it makes a huge difference in the wear and tear on the players. A good night’s sleep on a regular basis is important.”
As you can see here, Norfolk’s division rivals — Binghamton, Syracuse, Hershey and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton — are a ways away.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)