Jun 14, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
The second overall pick at the 2012 NHL draft is, as they say, in play.
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson confirmed as much this morning on Sportsnet 960 The Fan.
“We’ve certainly listened to people. We’ve had a couple of expressions of interest on the pick in terms of moving down,” Howson said. “We wouldn’t want to move too far down so we’ll just see how it plays out next week. Traditionally, and if history repeats itself, teams get a little more serious about exchanging picks as we get closer to the draft on the draft floor.”
He added: “We’d be open to any suggestions.”
Should Nail Yakupov go first overall (to either the Oilers or the team they trade the pick to), potential second picks include D Ryan Murray, C Mikhail Grigorenko, C Alex Galchenyuk and C Filip Forsberg.
There’s also a chance Edmonton goes against the consensus and overlooks Yakupov to add help on the blue line, e.g. Murray.
If Howson covets Yakupov, maybe the Oilers and Jackets swap picks. (Rampant speculation is fun.)
At any rate, Howson should be making and taking plenty of calls before next Friday’s first round in Pittsburgh. He’ll likely deal Rick Nash at some point this summer, and he desperately needs goaltending help.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)