Jun 14, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
The second overall pick at the 2012 NHL draft is, as they say, in play.
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson confirmed as much this morning on Sportsnet 960 The Fan.
“We’ve certainly listened to people. We’ve had a couple of expressions of interest on the pick in terms of moving down,” Howson said. “We wouldn’t want to move too far down so we’ll just see how it plays out next week. Traditionally, and if history repeats itself, teams get a little more serious about exchanging picks as we get closer to the draft on the draft floor.”
He added: “We’d be open to any suggestions.”
Should Nail Yakupov go first overall (to either the Oilers or the team they trade the pick to), potential second picks include D Ryan Murray, C Mikhail Grigorenko, C Alex Galchenyuk and C Filip Forsberg.
There’s also a chance Edmonton goes against the consensus and overlooks Yakupov to add help on the blue line, e.g. Murray.
If Howson covets Yakupov, maybe the Oilers and Jackets swap picks. (Rampant speculation is fun.)
At any rate, Howson should be making and taking plenty of calls before next Friday’s first round in Pittsburgh. He’ll likely deal Rick Nash at some point this summer, and he desperately needs goaltending help.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)