Jun 14, 2012, 12:41 PM EST
One of the heroes from the Flames’ last Stanley Cup appearance is headed back to Calgary.
Martin Gelinas — nicknamed “The Eliminator” for scoring three series-clinching goals in 2004 — has been officially announced as Calgary’s assistant coach, set to join goalie coach Clint Malarchuk, associate coach Jacques Cloutier and head coach Bob Hartley behind the Flames bench next season.
“We are excited to add Marty to our coaching staff,” Hartley told the CalgaryFlames.com. “As a player, he was known for his incredible fitness and conditioning as well as an unparalleled work ethic. We know that he will bring the same enthusiasm and commitment as a coach combined with his experience from his former position in player development with Nashville.”
Gelinas was hired by the Preds in 2009-10 and quickly became a vital cog within the organization, monitoring and reporting the development of Nashville’s prospects. According to The Tennessean, Gelinas was instrumental in mentoring 2010 first round pick Austin Watson, who was recently named to the All Star team at the 2012 Memorial Cup as a member of the London Knights.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)