Jun 14, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
One of the heroes from the Flames’ last Stanley Cup appearance is headed back to Calgary.
Martin Gelinas — nicknamed “The Eliminator” for scoring three series-clinching goals in 2004 — has been officially announced as Calgary’s assistant coach, set to join goalie coach Clint Malarchuk, associate coach Jacques Cloutier and head coach Bob Hartley behind the Flames bench next season.
“We are excited to add Marty to our coaching staff,” Hartley told the CalgaryFlames.com. “As a player, he was known for his incredible fitness and conditioning as well as an unparalleled work ethic. We know that he will bring the same enthusiasm and commitment as a coach combined with his experience from his former position in player development with Nashville.”
Gelinas was hired by the Preds in 2009-10 and quickly became a vital cog within the organization, monitoring and reporting the development of Nashville’s prospects. According to The Tennessean, Gelinas was instrumental in mentoring 2010 first round pick Austin Watson, who was recently named to the All Star team at the 2012 Memorial Cup as a member of the London Knights.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)