Jun 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg is one of the most promising forwards in the upcoming 2012 NHL Entry Draft. NHL Central Scouting ranked him first among draft-eligible European skaters. Whoever takes him might end up with a gem. Just not next season.
“I would be surprised if he would be NHL-ready now,” Forsberg’s agent, Claus Elefalk said. “In two years, probably. He is two years younger than [New Jersey defenseman] Adam Larsson, and Larsson just came into play this year. He’s two years younger than [Colorado forward Gabriel] Landeskog.”
Forsberg added that he still has one year left on his contract with Leksand in Sweden.
If you’re not familiar with Forsberg, then in answer to your first question: no, he is not related to former NHL superstar Peter Forsberg. However, Elefalk said that he has Peter’s “competitive spirit.” Still, he has more of a “Markus Naslund-type” player in his agent’s eyes.
He also left an impression on NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb.
“Every game I watched him play, he always scored the big goals at the right moment,” Stubb said. “Whether it was in the middle of the game or in the final minute, he got it done. He’s big, strong and can skate.”
Stubb called Forsberg a leader by example and sees a little bit of Corey Perry in him.
“He’s a creative playmaker, good skater with fine straight-ahead speed,” Stubb added. “He’s a right-handed forward with an excellent shot and an effective two-way player with a great winning attitude.
“Filip’s a solid puck carrier with very good puck-handling skills, mature, good size and physically strong. On top of that, he’ll sacrifice himself to make the play.”
So, in summary, if your team drafts Forsberg, there are plenty of reasons to get excited. Just don’t expect immediate results.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)