Jun 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Filip Forsberg is one of the most promising forwards in the upcoming 2012 NHL Entry Draft. NHL Central Scouting ranked him first among draft-eligible European skaters. Whoever takes him might end up with a gem. Just not next season.
“I would be surprised if he would be NHL-ready now,” Forsberg’s agent, Claus Elefalk said. “In two years, probably. He is two years younger than [New Jersey defenseman] Adam Larsson, and Larsson just came into play this year. He’s two years younger than [Colorado forward Gabriel] Landeskog.”
Forsberg added that he still has one year left on his contract with Leksand in Sweden.
If you’re not familiar with Forsberg, then in answer to your first question: no, he is not related to former NHL superstar Peter Forsberg. However, Elefalk said that he has Peter’s “competitive spirit.” Still, he has more of a “Markus Naslund-type” player in his agent’s eyes.
He also left an impression on NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb.
“Every game I watched him play, he always scored the big goals at the right moment,” Stubb said. “Whether it was in the middle of the game or in the final minute, he got it done. He’s big, strong and can skate.”
Stubb called Forsberg a leader by example and sees a little bit of Corey Perry in him.
“He’s a creative playmaker, good skater with fine straight-ahead speed,” Stubb added. “He’s a right-handed forward with an excellent shot and an effective two-way player with a great winning attitude.
“Filip’s a solid puck carrier with very good puck-handling skills, mature, good size and physically strong. On top of that, he’ll sacrifice himself to make the play.”
So, in summary, if your team drafts Forsberg, there are plenty of reasons to get excited. Just don’t expect immediate results.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)