Jun 14, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
Filip Forsberg is one of the most promising forwards in the upcoming 2012 NHL Entry Draft. NHL Central Scouting ranked him first among draft-eligible European skaters. Whoever takes him might end up with a gem. Just not next season.
“I would be surprised if he would be NHL-ready now,” Forsberg’s agent, Claus Elefalk said. “In two years, probably. He is two years younger than [New Jersey defenseman] Adam Larsson, and Larsson just came into play this year. He’s two years younger than [Colorado forward Gabriel] Landeskog.”
Forsberg added that he still has one year left on his contract with Leksand in Sweden.
If you’re not familiar with Forsberg, then in answer to your first question: no, he is not related to former NHL superstar Peter Forsberg. However, Elefalk said that he has Peter’s “competitive spirit.” Still, he has more of a “Markus Naslund-type” player in his agent’s eyes.
He also left an impression on NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb.
“Every game I watched him play, he always scored the big goals at the right moment,” Stubb said. “Whether it was in the middle of the game or in the final minute, he got it done. He’s big, strong and can skate.”
Stubb called Forsberg a leader by example and sees a little bit of Corey Perry in him.
“He’s a creative playmaker, good skater with fine straight-ahead speed,” Stubb added. “He’s a right-handed forward with an excellent shot and an effective two-way player with a great winning attitude.
“Filip’s a solid puck carrier with very good puck-handling skills, mature, good size and physically strong. On top of that, he’ll sacrifice himself to make the play.”
So, in summary, if your team drafts Forsberg, there are plenty of reasons to get excited. Just don’t expect immediate results.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 13
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5