Jun 14, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
On a very busy day in the coaching industry, the Avalanche kept a prized prospect in house by promoting David Quinn from AHL Lake Erie to Colorado.
Quinn, 45, will now serve as one of head coach Joe Sacco’s two assistants — the other being Tim Army — a move seen by many as the next step in what could be an NHL head coaching gig of Quinn’s own.
He spent the last three years leading Lake Erie to unprecedented heights, compiling a 115-94-7-20 record while getting the Monsters to their first-ever playoff appearance.
He also served as an assistant for Team USA at the 2012 Worlds.
Back in October, TSN’s Darren Dreger pegged Quinn as a sleeper pick for potential/future NHL head coaching gigs:
Lake Erie’s David Quinn is our ‘out of left field’ candidate. The Monsters – Colorado’s farm club – are off to a rough start, but Quinn’s coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
As such, no surprise Colorado was keen to keep him in the organization.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)