Jun 14, 2012, 4:55 PM EST
On a very busy day in the coaching industry, the Avalanche kept a prized prospect in house by promoting David Quinn from AHL Lake Erie to Colorado.
Quinn, 45, will now serve as one of head coach Joe Sacco’s two assistants — the other being Tim Army — a move seen by many as the next step in what could be an NHL head coaching gig of Quinn’s own.
He spent the last three years leading Lake Erie to unprecedented heights, compiling a 115-94-7-20 record while getting the Monsters to their first-ever playoff appearance.
He also served as an assistant for Team USA at the 2012 Worlds.
Back in October, TSN’s Darren Dreger pegged Quinn as a sleeper pick for potential/future NHL head coaching gigs:
Lake Erie’s David Quinn is our ‘out of left field’ candidate. The Monsters – Colorado’s farm club – are off to a rough start, but Quinn’s coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
As such, no surprise Colorado was keen to keep him in the organization.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 57
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (92)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)