Jun 14, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
On a very busy day in the coaching industry, the Avalanche kept a prized prospect in house by promoting David Quinn from AHL Lake Erie to Colorado.
Quinn, 45, will now serve as one of head coach Joe Sacco’s two assistants — the other being Tim Army — a move seen by many as the next step in what could be an NHL head coaching gig of Quinn’s own.
He spent the last three years leading Lake Erie to unprecedented heights, compiling a 115-94-7-20 record while getting the Monsters to their first-ever playoff appearance.
He also served as an assistant for Team USA at the 2012 Worlds.
Back in October, TSN’s Darren Dreger pegged Quinn as a sleeper pick for potential/future NHL head coaching gigs:
Lake Erie’s David Quinn is our ‘out of left field’ candidate. The Monsters – Colorado’s farm club – are off to a rough start, but Quinn’s coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
As such, no surprise Colorado was keen to keep him in the organization.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)