Jun 14, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
On a very busy day in the coaching industry, the Avalanche kept a prized prospect in house by promoting David Quinn from AHL Lake Erie to Colorado.
Quinn, 45, will now serve as one of head coach Joe Sacco’s two assistants — the other being Tim Army — a move seen by many as the next step in what could be an NHL head coaching gig of Quinn’s own.
He spent the last three years leading Lake Erie to unprecedented heights, compiling a 115-94-7-20 record while getting the Monsters to their first-ever playoff appearance.
He also served as an assistant for Team USA at the 2012 Worlds.
Back in October, TSN’s Darren Dreger pegged Quinn as a sleeper pick for potential/future NHL head coaching gigs:
Lake Erie’s David Quinn is our ‘out of left field’ candidate. The Monsters – Colorado’s farm club – are off to a rough start, but Quinn’s coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
As such, no surprise Colorado was keen to keep him in the organization.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 30
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 16
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement