Jun 14, 2012, 4:55 PM EDT
On a very busy day in the coaching industry, the Avalanche kept a prized prospect in house by promoting David Quinn from AHL Lake Erie to Colorado.
Quinn, 45, will now serve as one of head coach Joe Sacco’s two assistants — the other being Tim Army — a move seen by many as the next step in what could be an NHL head coaching gig of Quinn’s own.
He spent the last three years leading Lake Erie to unprecedented heights, compiling a 115-94-7-20 record while getting the Monsters to their first-ever playoff appearance.
He also served as an assistant for Team USA at the 2012 Worlds.
Back in October, TSN’s Darren Dreger pegged Quinn as a sleeper pick for potential/future NHL head coaching gigs:
Lake Erie’s David Quinn is our ‘out of left field’ candidate. The Monsters – Colorado’s farm club – are off to a rough start, but Quinn’s coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
As such, no surprise Colorado was keen to keep him in the organization.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)