Jun 14, 2012, 9:41 PM EDT
We already know that Mike Knuble and Jeff Halpern will not be members of the Washington Capitals in 2012-13. Tomas Vokoun has been traded to Pittsburgh. On top of that, it’s likely that Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman will be allowed to test the unrestricted free agent waters.
Given all of that, the Washington Capitals are likely to have a fair amount of cap space this summer. So what are they going to do with it?
Although Capitals fans might take this as a sign that Washington will make a serious push for Zach Parise or Ryan Suter if either one hits the free agent market, GM George McPhee didn’t sound too warm to the idea.
“We’ll see,” McPhee said. “The preference is to do it within your organization and use your own people and we’ve done real well in that area.”
Still, it wouldn’t be surprising to see them go after someone to bolster their second line or other complimentary players. However, with the market expected to be thin, the cost of such players could reach unreasonable levels.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)