Jun 14, 2012, 9:41 PM EDT
We already know that Mike Knuble and Jeff Halpern will not be members of the Washington Capitals in 2012-13. Tomas Vokoun has been traded to Pittsburgh. On top of that, it’s likely that Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman will be allowed to test the unrestricted free agent waters.
Given all of that, the Washington Capitals are likely to have a fair amount of cap space this summer. So what are they going to do with it?
Although Capitals fans might take this as a sign that Washington will make a serious push for Zach Parise or Ryan Suter if either one hits the free agent market, GM George McPhee didn’t sound too warm to the idea.
“We’ll see,” McPhee said. “The preference is to do it within your organization and use your own people and we’ve done real well in that area.”
Still, it wouldn’t be surprising to see them go after someone to bolster their second line or other complimentary players. However, with the market expected to be thin, the cost of such players could reach unreasonable levels.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)