Jun 14, 2012, 9:41 PM EDT
We already know that Mike Knuble and Jeff Halpern will not be members of the Washington Capitals in 2012-13. Tomas Vokoun has been traded to Pittsburgh. On top of that, it’s likely that Alexander Semin and Dennis Wideman will be allowed to test the unrestricted free agent waters.
Given all of that, the Washington Capitals are likely to have a fair amount of cap space this summer. So what are they going to do with it?
Although Capitals fans might take this as a sign that Washington will make a serious push for Zach Parise or Ryan Suter if either one hits the free agent market, GM George McPhee didn’t sound too warm to the idea.
“We’ll see,” McPhee said. “The preference is to do it within your organization and use your own people and we’ve done real well in that area.”
Still, it wouldn’t be surprising to see them go after someone to bolster their second line or other complimentary players. However, with the market expected to be thin, the cost of such players could reach unreasonable levels.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)