Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has re-signed Gregory Campbell and Chris Kelly (although the Kelly deal reportedly can’t be official until July 1), so their core of forwards is close to set.
“I feel really good with our lineup right now and to add a [top 9 forward] like I talked about still isn’t out of the realm of possibility,” said Chiarelli. “It gives me a lot of flexibility going into free agency, but this is as solid of a forward group as you’re going to get.
“If we do nothing, that’s fine, but if something comes across that looks attractive and we have to look at it, then we’ll look at it.”
As far as locking up their remaining free agents go, Chiarelli hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bringing back Brian Rolston, but nothing will happen on that front until July 1. There’s also a chance that Benoit Pouliot will be re-signed, but Chiarelli doesn’t have any news on that front.
Ultimately the salary cap is the biggest road block for the Boston Bruins, especially seeing as it’s not clear what it will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA. Anything is possible, but the odds are against the Bruins making a big splash this summer.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)