Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has re-signed Gregory Campbell and Chris Kelly (although the Kelly deal reportedly can’t be official until July 1), so their core of forwards is close to set.
“I feel really good with our lineup right now and to add a [top 9 forward] like I talked about still isn’t out of the realm of possibility,” said Chiarelli. “It gives me a lot of flexibility going into free agency, but this is as solid of a forward group as you’re going to get.
“If we do nothing, that’s fine, but if something comes across that looks attractive and we have to look at it, then we’ll look at it.”
As far as locking up their remaining free agents go, Chiarelli hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bringing back Brian Rolston, but nothing will happen on that front until July 1. There’s also a chance that Benoit Pouliot will be re-signed, but Chiarelli doesn’t have any news on that front.
Ultimately the salary cap is the biggest road block for the Boston Bruins, especially seeing as it’s not clear what it will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA. Anything is possible, but the odds are against the Bruins making a big splash this summer.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)