Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has re-signed Gregory Campbell and Chris Kelly (although the Kelly deal reportedly can’t be official until July 1), so their core of forwards is close to set.
“I feel really good with our lineup right now and to add a [top 9 forward] like I talked about still isn’t out of the realm of possibility,” said Chiarelli. “It gives me a lot of flexibility going into free agency, but this is as solid of a forward group as you’re going to get.
“If we do nothing, that’s fine, but if something comes across that looks attractive and we have to look at it, then we’ll look at it.”
As far as locking up their remaining free agents go, Chiarelli hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bringing back Brian Rolston, but nothing will happen on that front until July 1. There’s also a chance that Benoit Pouliot will be re-signed, but Chiarelli doesn’t have any news on that front.
Ultimately the salary cap is the biggest road block for the Boston Bruins, especially seeing as it’s not clear what it will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA. Anything is possible, but the odds are against the Bruins making a big splash this summer.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 1
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 28
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 70
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)