Jun 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has re-signed Gregory Campbell and Chris Kelly (although the Kelly deal reportedly can’t be official until July 1), so their core of forwards is close to set.
“I feel really good with our lineup right now and to add a [top 9 forward] like I talked about still isn’t out of the realm of possibility,” said Chiarelli. “It gives me a lot of flexibility going into free agency, but this is as solid of a forward group as you’re going to get.
“If we do nothing, that’s fine, but if something comes across that looks attractive and we have to look at it, then we’ll look at it.”
As far as locking up their remaining free agents go, Chiarelli hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bringing back Brian Rolston, but nothing will happen on that front until July 1. There’s also a chance that Benoit Pouliot will be re-signed, but Chiarelli doesn’t have any news on that front.
Ultimately the salary cap is the biggest road block for the Boston Bruins, especially seeing as it’s not clear what it will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA. Anything is possible, but the odds are against the Bruins making a big splash this summer.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)