Jun 14, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Coming so close to winning the Stanley Cup only to ultimately fall short must be tough, but Martin Brodeur was upbeat despite the bitter end to the Devils’ season.
“It’s been unbelievable,” Brodeur said. “It’s not fair because I’ve won before so other people can’t relate to what I have to go through. But this was an unbelievable year. I had a blast. It was an unbelievable year. We gave everything to be in that position that we got ourselves.
“I can go home and be really happy. People who have never won, it’s hard for them to digest that. For me, it’s a tough thing to translate to other guys on the team, but you need to learn how to lose to a certain extent to win.”
As a rookie in 1993-94, Brodeur led the Devils all the way to the Conference finals before they lost in Game 7 to the New York Rangers. However, just a year later, he won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
“It’s just the way it goes,” Brodeur said. “Everybody is there to win and the Kings deserve what they got, but the guys have to be very proud of what we accomplished. I’m sure these guys, we’ll be celebrating a championship in the near future.”
The question is if Brodeur will be a part of that run. He hasn’t made any promises yet, but he certainly seems to be leaning heavily towards playing in 2012-13.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)