Jun 14, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Coming so close to winning the Stanley Cup only to ultimately fall short must be tough, but Martin Brodeur was upbeat despite the bitter end to the Devils’ season.
“It’s been unbelievable,” Brodeur said. “It’s not fair because I’ve won before so other people can’t relate to what I have to go through. But this was an unbelievable year. I had a blast. It was an unbelievable year. We gave everything to be in that position that we got ourselves.
“I can go home and be really happy. People who have never won, it’s hard for them to digest that. For me, it’s a tough thing to translate to other guys on the team, but you need to learn how to lose to a certain extent to win.”
As a rookie in 1993-94, Brodeur led the Devils all the way to the Conference finals before they lost in Game 7 to the New York Rangers. However, just a year later, he won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
“It’s just the way it goes,” Brodeur said. “Everybody is there to win and the Kings deserve what they got, but the guys have to be very proud of what we accomplished. I’m sure these guys, we’ll be celebrating a championship in the near future.”
The question is if Brodeur will be a part of that run. He hasn’t made any promises yet, but he certainly seems to be leaning heavily towards playing in 2012-13.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)