Jun 14, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Coming so close to winning the Stanley Cup only to ultimately fall short must be tough, but Martin Brodeur was upbeat despite the bitter end to the Devils’ season.
“It’s been unbelievable,” Brodeur said. “It’s not fair because I’ve won before so other people can’t relate to what I have to go through. But this was an unbelievable year. I had a blast. It was an unbelievable year. We gave everything to be in that position that we got ourselves.
“I can go home and be really happy. People who have never won, it’s hard for them to digest that. For me, it’s a tough thing to translate to other guys on the team, but you need to learn how to lose to a certain extent to win.”
As a rookie in 1993-94, Brodeur led the Devils all the way to the Conference finals before they lost in Game 7 to the New York Rangers. However, just a year later, he won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
“It’s just the way it goes,” Brodeur said. “Everybody is there to win and the Kings deserve what they got, but the guys have to be very proud of what we accomplished. I’m sure these guys, we’ll be celebrating a championship in the near future.”
The question is if Brodeur will be a part of that run. He hasn’t made any promises yet, but he certainly seems to be leaning heavily towards playing in 2012-13.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)