Jun 14, 2012, 8:55 AM EST
Coming so close to winning the Stanley Cup only to ultimately fall short must be tough, but Martin Brodeur was upbeat despite the bitter end to the Devils’ season.
“It’s been unbelievable,” Brodeur said. “It’s not fair because I’ve won before so other people can’t relate to what I have to go through. But this was an unbelievable year. I had a blast. It was an unbelievable year. We gave everything to be in that position that we got ourselves.
“I can go home and be really happy. People who have never won, it’s hard for them to digest that. For me, it’s a tough thing to translate to other guys on the team, but you need to learn how to lose to a certain extent to win.”
As a rookie in 1993-94, Brodeur led the Devils all the way to the Conference finals before they lost in Game 7 to the New York Rangers. However, just a year later, he won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
“It’s just the way it goes,” Brodeur said. “Everybody is there to win and the Kings deserve what they got, but the guys have to be very proud of what we accomplished. I’m sure these guys, we’ll be celebrating a championship in the near future.”
The question is if Brodeur will be a part of that run. He hasn’t made any promises yet, but he certainly seems to be leaning heavily towards playing in 2012-13.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)