Jun 14, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Coming so close to winning the Stanley Cup only to ultimately fall short must be tough, but Martin Brodeur was upbeat despite the bitter end to the Devils’ season.
“It’s been unbelievable,” Brodeur said. “It’s not fair because I’ve won before so other people can’t relate to what I have to go through. But this was an unbelievable year. I had a blast. It was an unbelievable year. We gave everything to be in that position that we got ourselves.
“I can go home and be really happy. People who have never won, it’s hard for them to digest that. For me, it’s a tough thing to translate to other guys on the team, but you need to learn how to lose to a certain extent to win.”
As a rookie in 1993-94, Brodeur led the Devils all the way to the Conference finals before they lost in Game 7 to the New York Rangers. However, just a year later, he won the Stanley Cup for the first time.
“It’s just the way it goes,” Brodeur said. “Everybody is there to win and the Kings deserve what they got, but the guys have to be very proud of what we accomplished. I’m sure these guys, we’ll be celebrating a championship in the near future.”
The question is if Brodeur will be a part of that run. He hasn’t made any promises yet, but he certainly seems to be leaning heavily towards playing in 2012-13.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 9
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 28
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins