Jun 14, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
B.D. Gallof interviewed TSN’s Bob McKenzie with a New York Islanders-leaning perspective, yet the two covered a lot of interesting details. Three things that McKenzie said stand out the most, though: 1) it doesn’t appear that there are many “elite” prospects, 2) the 2012 draft is a deep one for defensemen and 3) it could be a resoundingly bad one for Canadian forwards.
(Note: if the name “Kris Beech” comes up, you know things aren’t going in a positive direction.)
Let’s start with McKenzie’s comments regarding elite talent:
“I think there are elite players in ever draft; it’s just a matter of finding them. I would say, based on conversation with scouts, there are fewer potential elite prospects in this draft than others.”
“Yakupov has been perceived most of the season as an elite guy, but his playoff concerned some scouts, so that ‘can’t miss’ franchise-type player may not be as obvious this year.”
Here are a few of the most interesting comments about a defense-rich draft.
“This is a very strong draft for defensemen.”
“The top-ranked defensemen are: Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Jacob Trouba, Matt Dumba, Olli Maatta and Cody Ceci. They could take any one of those guys and they’d be getting a defenseman scouts think are amongst the very best, depending upon the style of player you prefer.”
Finally, here’s McKenzie’s surprising observation about how bad this draft is looking as far as high-end Canadian scorers are concerned.
” … There’s never been a worse year for Canadian forwards in the draft. Belleville’s Brendan Gaunce is the top-ranked Canadian forward and I would project him to be a mid-to-late first rounder. The lowest-drafted Canadian forward ever is Kris Beech (Washington) and he went seventh overall. That record is likely to be broken this year. It’s just a really strong cycle of defenseman and weak cycle of forwards.”
Again, when Beech’s name comes up, it’s usually not a good sign.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)