Jun 13, 2012, 10:15 PM EDT
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie floats some surprising news: the NHL reportedly rejected the Boston Bruins’ four-year, $12 million contract extension with Chris Kelly. Lavoie refers to “cap issues” as what railroaded the deal.
Update: Elliotte Friedman reports that it might be a “tagging” issue and believes that the Bruins might need to wait until July 1 to try again. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty backed that up from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“Peter Chiarelli addressed Kelly contract earlier today. He said he can’t make deal official until July 1 due to “payroll tagging” cap issue.”
Looking at the Bruins’ Cap Geek page, if you take out Kelly’s canceled $3 million cap hit, Boston has a little under $62 million committed to salaries for next season. If the ceiling is indeed $70.3 million, they’d have about $5 million in cap space if Kelly gets the same deal on July 1 and as much as $8 million if the Bruins suddenly have cold feet.
(Some believe that Kelly simply isn’t worth $3 million per year, but that’s a discussion for another day/the comments.)
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)