Jun 13, 2012, 10:15 PM EST
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie floats some surprising news: the NHL reportedly rejected the Boston Bruins’ four-year, $12 million contract extension with Chris Kelly. Lavoie refers to “cap issues” as what railroaded the deal.
Update: Elliotte Friedman reports that it might be a “tagging” issue and believes that the Bruins might need to wait until July 1 to try again. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty backed that up from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“Peter Chiarelli addressed Kelly contract earlier today. He said he can’t make deal official until July 1 due to “payroll tagging” cap issue.”
Looking at the Bruins’ Cap Geek page, if you take out Kelly’s canceled $3 million cap hit, Boston has a little under $62 million committed to salaries for next season. If the ceiling is indeed $70.3 million, they’d have about $5 million in cap space if Kelly gets the same deal on July 1 and as much as $8 million if the Bruins suddenly have cold feet.
(Some believe that Kelly simply isn’t worth $3 million per year, but that’s a discussion for another day/the comments.)
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)