Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 PM EST
Here are three interesting little tidbits from around the NHL that aren’t quite fit for a full post.
- Montreal columnist Dave Stubbs apparently had a lengthy discussion with Alex Kovalev, who said that he’d “love” to play with the Montreal Canadiens again. Of course, Stubbs was also quick to point out what most of us probably feel: the Habs likely wouldn’t have the same interest. That being said, Kovalev is a classic example of a Russian player who generated a rather ridiculous amount of heat. For all the talk of him being “enigmatic”/not caring, the guy has 1,024 points in his NHL career. Some wouldn’t mind watching a Kovalev retirement tour and his most recent successes came in Montreal.
- Sure, the Calgary Flames’ run to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals was powered most by Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff, but many of us also associate it with lifetime-best work from smaller guys such as Martin Gelinas. The Calgary Sun reports that the Flames are likely to hire him as an assistant coach. Gelinas would join another assistant (Jacques Cloutier) and goalie coach (Clint Malarchuk) as Bob Hartley’s coaching staff.
(Gelinas totally scored a goal in Game 6, am I right?)
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)