Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT
Here are three interesting little tidbits from around the NHL that aren’t quite fit for a full post.
- Montreal columnist Dave Stubbs apparently had a lengthy discussion with Alex Kovalev, who said that he’d “love” to play with the Montreal Canadiens again. Of course, Stubbs was also quick to point out what most of us probably feel: the Habs likely wouldn’t have the same interest. That being said, Kovalev is a classic example of a Russian player who generated a rather ridiculous amount of heat. For all the talk of him being “enigmatic”/not caring, the guy has 1,024 points in his NHL career. Some wouldn’t mind watching a Kovalev retirement tour and his most recent successes came in Montreal.
- Sure, the Calgary Flames’ run to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals was powered most by Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff, but many of us also associate it with lifetime-best work from smaller guys such as Martin Gelinas. The Calgary Sun reports that the Flames are likely to hire him as an assistant coach. Gelinas would join another assistant (Jacques Cloutier) and goalie coach (Clint Malarchuk) as Bob Hartley’s coaching staff.
(Gelinas totally scored a goal in Game 6, am I right?)
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)