Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 PM EST
Here are three interesting little tidbits from around the NHL that aren’t quite fit for a full post.
- Montreal columnist Dave Stubbs apparently had a lengthy discussion with Alex Kovalev, who said that he’d “love” to play with the Montreal Canadiens again. Of course, Stubbs was also quick to point out what most of us probably feel: the Habs likely wouldn’t have the same interest. That being said, Kovalev is a classic example of a Russian player who generated a rather ridiculous amount of heat. For all the talk of him being “enigmatic”/not caring, the guy has 1,024 points in his NHL career. Some wouldn’t mind watching a Kovalev retirement tour and his most recent successes came in Montreal.
- Sure, the Calgary Flames’ run to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals was powered most by Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff, but many of us also associate it with lifetime-best work from smaller guys such as Martin Gelinas. The Calgary Sun reports that the Flames are likely to hire him as an assistant coach. Gelinas would join another assistant (Jacques Cloutier) and goalie coach (Clint Malarchuk) as Bob Hartley’s coaching staff.
(Gelinas totally scored a goal in Game 6, am I right?)
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 9
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 9
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)