Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT
Here are three interesting little tidbits from around the NHL that aren’t quite fit for a full post.
- Montreal columnist Dave Stubbs apparently had a lengthy discussion with Alex Kovalev, who said that he’d “love” to play with the Montreal Canadiens again. Of course, Stubbs was also quick to point out what most of us probably feel: the Habs likely wouldn’t have the same interest. That being said, Kovalev is a classic example of a Russian player who generated a rather ridiculous amount of heat. For all the talk of him being “enigmatic”/not caring, the guy has 1,024 points in his NHL career. Some wouldn’t mind watching a Kovalev retirement tour and his most recent successes came in Montreal.
- Sure, the Calgary Flames’ run to the 2004 Stanley Cup finals was powered most by Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff, but many of us also associate it with lifetime-best work from smaller guys such as Martin Gelinas. The Calgary Sun reports that the Flames are likely to hire him as an assistant coach. Gelinas would join another assistant (Jacques Cloutier) and goalie coach (Clint Malarchuk) as Bob Hartley’s coaching staff.
(Gelinas totally scored a goal in Game 6, am I right?)
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)