Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has been a very good goalie for the L.A. Kings for a couple years now. After watching him stonewall everyone in sight through the playoffs on the way to winning both the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup, the Vezina Trophy finalist is having himself a hell of a year.
There’s a catch though. Quick’s emergence as one of the best goalies in the NHL comes as he’s got just one more year left on his current contract and Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times says the Kings’ top priority is to get him signed on long-term.
Under collective bargaining rules, negotiations for a contract extension can open after July 1. It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that Quick’s camp will ask for a contract comparable to the bar set by the seven-year, $49-million deal that goalie Pekka Rinne signed with the Nashville Predators last summer.
Yeah, Quick is going to cash in in a big way and it would be crazy for the Kings to let him walk. Advantage: Quick. On the upside for L.A., GM Dean Lombardi has been good, albeit tough on occasion, in getting his franchise players signed up long-term.
He got a deal done with Anze Kopitar pain-free, and locked up Drew Doughty after an arduous summer. Getting something done with Quick will be tricky, especially with a new CBA on the way, but a virtual necessity for the Kings.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)