Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has been a very good goalie for the L.A. Kings for a couple years now. After watching him stonewall everyone in sight through the playoffs on the way to winning both the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup, the Vezina Trophy finalist is having himself a hell of a year.
There’s a catch though. Quick’s emergence as one of the best goalies in the NHL comes as he’s got just one more year left on his current contract and Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times says the Kings’ top priority is to get him signed on long-term.
Under collective bargaining rules, negotiations for a contract extension can open after July 1. It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that Quick’s camp will ask for a contract comparable to the bar set by the seven-year, $49-million deal that goalie Pekka Rinne signed with the Nashville Predators last summer.
Yeah, Quick is going to cash in in a big way and it would be crazy for the Kings to let him walk. Advantage: Quick. On the upside for L.A., GM Dean Lombardi has been good, albeit tough on occasion, in getting his franchise players signed up long-term.
He got a deal done with Anze Kopitar pain-free, and locked up Drew Doughty after an arduous summer. Getting something done with Quick will be tricky, especially with a new CBA on the way, but a virtual necessity for the Kings.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)