Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has been a very good goalie for the L.A. Kings for a couple years now. After watching him stonewall everyone in sight through the playoffs on the way to winning both the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup, the Vezina Trophy finalist is having himself a hell of a year.
There’s a catch though. Quick’s emergence as one of the best goalies in the NHL comes as he’s got just one more year left on his current contract and Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times says the Kings’ top priority is to get him signed on long-term.
Under collective bargaining rules, negotiations for a contract extension can open after July 1. It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that Quick’s camp will ask for a contract comparable to the bar set by the seven-year, $49-million deal that goalie Pekka Rinne signed with the Nashville Predators last summer.
Yeah, Quick is going to cash in in a big way and it would be crazy for the Kings to let him walk. Advantage: Quick. On the upside for L.A., GM Dean Lombardi has been good, albeit tough on occasion, in getting his franchise players signed up long-term.
He got a deal done with Anze Kopitar pain-free, and locked up Drew Doughty after an arduous summer. Getting something done with Quick will be tricky, especially with a new CBA on the way, but a virtual necessity for the Kings.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)