Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM EST
Jonathan Quick has been a very good goalie for the L.A. Kings for a couple years now. After watching him stonewall everyone in sight through the playoffs on the way to winning both the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup, the Vezina Trophy finalist is having himself a hell of a year.
There’s a catch though. Quick’s emergence as one of the best goalies in the NHL comes as he’s got just one more year left on his current contract and Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times says the Kings’ top priority is to get him signed on long-term.
Under collective bargaining rules, negotiations for a contract extension can open after July 1. It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that Quick’s camp will ask for a contract comparable to the bar set by the seven-year, $49-million deal that goalie Pekka Rinne signed with the Nashville Predators last summer.
Yeah, Quick is going to cash in in a big way and it would be crazy for the Kings to let him walk. Advantage: Quick. On the upside for L.A., GM Dean Lombardi has been good, albeit tough on occasion, in getting his franchise players signed up long-term.
He got a deal done with Anze Kopitar pain-free, and locked up Drew Doughty after an arduous summer. Getting something done with Quick will be tricky, especially with a new CBA on the way, but a virtual necessity for the Kings.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)