Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick has been a very good goalie for the L.A. Kings for a couple years now. After watching him stonewall everyone in sight through the playoffs on the way to winning both the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup, the Vezina Trophy finalist is having himself a hell of a year.
There’s a catch though. Quick’s emergence as one of the best goalies in the NHL comes as he’s got just one more year left on his current contract and Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times says the Kings’ top priority is to get him signed on long-term.
Under collective bargaining rules, negotiations for a contract extension can open after July 1. It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that Quick’s camp will ask for a contract comparable to the bar set by the seven-year, $49-million deal that goalie Pekka Rinne signed with the Nashville Predators last summer.
Yeah, Quick is going to cash in in a big way and it would be crazy for the Kings to let him walk. Advantage: Quick. On the upside for L.A., GM Dean Lombardi has been good, albeit tough on occasion, in getting his franchise players signed up long-term.
He got a deal done with Anze Kopitar pain-free, and locked up Drew Doughty after an arduous summer. Getting something done with Quick will be tricky, especially with a new CBA on the way, but a virtual necessity for the Kings.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)