Jun 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EST
As we predicted, Devils captain and pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise didn’t commit to returning to New Jersey when asked about his future this morning. However, he did go so far as to say he wants to come back.
“This is a great place to play and I love playing here,” he said. “I love being here.”
Oh, and remember a few weeks ago when Parise’s dad said his son would “fit right in” with the New York Rangers? Yeah, not happening.
“No way,” said Parise.
So that’s one team we can scratch off the list.
Parise also said it’s possible he could re-sign before July 1. (Presumably he meant with the Devils, though it’s possible his rights could be traded if a deal can’t be reached.)
Now start the negotiations. Will the Devils be able to afford Parise given the club’s financial challenges? How much will he demand? Will he base his worth on Ilya Kovalchuk’s 15-year, $100 million contract? Not to suggest he’d ask for that much, but hey, if he’s the “face of the Devils” and all…
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12