Jun 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
As we predicted, Devils captain and pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise didn’t commit to returning to New Jersey when asked about his future this morning. However, he did go so far as to say he wants to come back.
“This is a great place to play and I love playing here,” he said. “I love being here.”
Oh, and remember a few weeks ago when Parise’s dad said his son would “fit right in” with the New York Rangers? Yeah, not happening.
“No way,” said Parise.
So that’s one team we can scratch off the list.
Parise also said it’s possible he could re-sign before July 1. (Presumably he meant with the Devils, though it’s possible his rights could be traded if a deal can’t be reached.)
Now start the negotiations. Will the Devils be able to afford Parise given the club’s financial challenges? How much will he demand? Will he base his worth on Ilya Kovalchuk’s 15-year, $100 million contract? Not to suggest he’d ask for that much, but hey, if he’s the “face of the Devils” and all…
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)