Jun 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
As we predicted, Devils captain and pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise didn’t commit to returning to New Jersey when asked about his future this morning. However, he did go so far as to say he wants to come back.
“This is a great place to play and I love playing here,” he said. “I love being here.”
Oh, and remember a few weeks ago when Parise’s dad said his son would “fit right in” with the New York Rangers? Yeah, not happening.
“No way,” said Parise.
So that’s one team we can scratch off the list.
Parise also said it’s possible he could re-sign before July 1. (Presumably he meant with the Devils, though it’s possible his rights could be traded if a deal can’t be reached.)
Now start the negotiations. Will the Devils be able to afford Parise given the club’s financial challenges? How much will he demand? Will he base his worth on Ilya Kovalchuk’s 15-year, $100 million contract? Not to suggest he’d ask for that much, but hey, if he’s the “face of the Devils” and all…
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)