Jun 13, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
As we predicted, Devils captain and pending unrestricted free agent Zach Parise didn’t commit to returning to New Jersey when asked about his future this morning. However, he did go so far as to say he wants to come back.
“This is a great place to play and I love playing here,” he said. “I love being here.”
Oh, and remember a few weeks ago when Parise’s dad said his son would “fit right in” with the New York Rangers? Yeah, not happening.
“No way,” said Parise.
So that’s one team we can scratch off the list.
Parise also said it’s possible he could re-sign before July 1. (Presumably he meant with the Devils, though it’s possible his rights could be traded if a deal can’t be reached.)
Now start the negotiations. Will the Devils be able to afford Parise given the club’s financial challenges? How much will he demand? Will he base his worth on Ilya Kovalchuk’s 15-year, $100 million contract? Not to suggest he’d ask for that much, but hey, if he’s the “face of the Devils” and all…
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)