Jun 13, 2012, 10:45 PM EST
The American-born winger was a first-round pick (30th overall) by Atlanta/Winnipeg in 2002. He’s been a fairly consistent fixture with the organization since the 2005-06 season, typically producing about 12-20 points per season. He achieved a modest career-high in 2011-12, scoring 13 goals and 21 points in 78 games. He also shot at a career-high 11 percent, so even a 15-goal output might be a bit much to ask in the future.
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is wise to get this decision out of the way quickly, because he has bigger ones coming up this summer.
Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec are among the team’s most significant restricted free agents. Pavelec might leave for the KHL, so backup Chris Mason‘s unrestricted free agent status is that much more relevant. Kyle Wellwood (pauses for fat jokes) was also surprisingly productive, so the Jets might have a tough call to make there.
It’ll be interesting to see if the franchise sticks with smaller, familiar moves like re-signing guys like Slater or if they decide to make a splashy move or two this off-seaosn.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)