Jun 13, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
The American-born winger was a first-round pick (30th overall) by Atlanta/Winnipeg in 2002. He’s been a fairly consistent fixture with the organization since the 2005-06 season, typically producing about 12-20 points per season. He achieved a modest career-high in 2011-12, scoring 13 goals and 21 points in 78 games. He also shot at a career-high 11 percent, so even a 15-goal output might be a bit much to ask in the future.
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is wise to get this decision out of the way quickly, because he has bigger ones coming up this summer.
Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec are among the team’s most significant restricted free agents. Pavelec might leave for the KHL, so backup Chris Mason‘s unrestricted free agent status is that much more relevant. Kyle Wellwood (pauses for fat jokes) was also surprisingly productive, so the Jets might have a tough call to make there.
It’ll be interesting to see if the franchise sticks with smaller, familiar moves like re-signing guys like Slater or if they decide to make a splashy move or two this off-seaosn.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)