Jun 13, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
The American-born winger was a first-round pick (30th overall) by Atlanta/Winnipeg in 2002. He’s been a fairly consistent fixture with the organization since the 2005-06 season, typically producing about 12-20 points per season. He achieved a modest career-high in 2011-12, scoring 13 goals and 21 points in 78 games. He also shot at a career-high 11 percent, so even a 15-goal output might be a bit much to ask in the future.
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is wise to get this decision out of the way quickly, because he has bigger ones coming up this summer.
Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec are among the team’s most significant restricted free agents. Pavelec might leave for the KHL, so backup Chris Mason‘s unrestricted free agent status is that much more relevant. Kyle Wellwood (pauses for fat jokes) was also surprisingly productive, so the Jets might have a tough call to make there.
It’ll be interesting to see if the franchise sticks with smaller, familiar moves like re-signing guys like Slater or if they decide to make a splashy move or two this off-seaosn.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)