Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
The University of North Dakota will be looking for a new nickname for their sports teams.
Voters in North Dakota chose to retire the Fighting Sioux moniker the university’s sports teams have had for year by a 67.35 percent to 32.65 percent margin according to the Grand Forks Herald.
The Fighting Sioux name has come under fire in recent years thanks to the NCAA looking to move away from “hostile and abusive” nicknames and mascots for schools. North Dakota’s men’s hockey team fought hard to keep the name, but the NCAA and member conferences in other sports put the squeeze on the university by threatening to ban the school from playoffs because of the name.
University president Robert Kelley sounds resigned to giving up the name in a statement after the vote.
We are appreciative that voters took the time to listen and to understand the issues and the importance of allowing the University to move forward. We also understand how deeply this has affected all of us.
Tuesday’s vote allows us to focus our attention on our students as we continue to build exceptional programs in all areas of the University. We appreciate the support that has been expressed for the University of North Dakota over the past several weeks, and especially for UND Athletics. It is support that will continue to be important as we build a great future for the University and for UND Athletics.
We will continue to work with the State Board of Higher Education, the North Dakota University System, and the leadership in athletics as we move forward.
The school has fought hard to keep the name and while they’ve been respectful of the Sioux name, it appears change is coming for North Dakota.
(h/t Jennifer Conway on UND statement)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 48
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 15
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)