Jun 13, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
As expected, the Goldwater Institute has filed a lawsuit in Arizona court seeking to invalidate the City of Glendale’s approval of a lease at Jobing.com Arena for the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes.
The taxpayer watchdog group is claiming Glendale violated a 2009 court order that instructed the city to disclose all lease-related documents in a timely manner to allow an appropriate period for review.
“Without seeing critical exhibits contained in the arena management agreement such as the arena annual budget or the arena management performance standards, it is not possible to determine the constitutional validity of the agreement,” said Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen in a release.
On Friday, Glendale city council voted in favor of a 20-year, $325 million lease at the city-owned arena with an investor group led by former Sharks CEO Greg Jamison.
And that’s not money going to the landlord; it’s money going to Jamison in the form of arena-management fees and capital improvements.
According to analysis by the Arizona Republic, “Glendale expects to collect less than half that amount via ticket surcharges, rent, sales tax and other team fees during the same period.”
Of course, the city expects to lose more money should the Coyotes leave. Thus, the lease.
Anyway, we’re not law-talking guys, so we can’t say if Goldwater’s lawsuit will be successful.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)