Jun 13, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
As expected, the Goldwater Institute has filed a lawsuit in Arizona court seeking to invalidate the City of Glendale’s approval of a lease at Jobing.com Arena for the prospective owner of the Phoenix Coyotes.
The taxpayer watchdog group is claiming Glendale violated a 2009 court order that instructed the city to disclose all lease-related documents in a timely manner to allow an appropriate period for review.
“Without seeing critical exhibits contained in the arena management agreement such as the arena annual budget or the arena management performance standards, it is not possible to determine the constitutional validity of the agreement,” said Goldwater Institute President Darcy Olsen in a release.
On Friday, Glendale city council voted in favor of a 20-year, $325 million lease at the city-owned arena with an investor group led by former Sharks CEO Greg Jamison.
And that’s not money going to the landlord; it’s money going to Jamison in the form of arena-management fees and capital improvements.
According to analysis by the Arizona Republic, “Glendale expects to collect less than half that amount via ticket surcharges, rent, sales tax and other team fees during the same period.”
Of course, the city expects to lose more money should the Coyotes leave. Thus, the lease.
Anyway, we’re not law-talking guys, so we can’t say if Goldwater’s lawsuit will be successful.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)