Jun 13, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press shares the story of former Kings trainer Peter Demers who, after watching L.A. lose the ’93 finals in Montreal, took a keepsake with him — a bottle of Budweiser.
Here’s what transpired…
It then traveled back to an office in the Great Western Forum, made the move to Staples Center along with the Kings in 1999 and eventually found a resting place on top of a tool box in Demers’ garage. And after 19 years, the former Kings head athletic trainer finally found a reason to drink it.
Out of the Stanley Cup, no less.
“The players poured it down the hatch and on my suit while they chanted ‘Pete! Pete! Pete!”’ Demers said Tuesday, a day after the Kings captured their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. “How about that? And that old rotten beer tasted great.”
Demers’ spoiled lager is just one of the really random things to be consumed out of the Stanley Cup.
– Brian Noonan and Nick Kypreos stuffed it with raw clams and oysters.
– Doug Weight and his family ate a gigantic ice cream sundae out of it.
(Picture courtesy Frozen Royalty)
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 0
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 8
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 30
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)