Jun 13, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press shares the story of former Kings trainer Peter Demers who, after watching L.A. lose the ’93 finals in Montreal, took a keepsake with him — a bottle of Budweiser.
Here’s what transpired…
It then traveled back to an office in the Great Western Forum, made the move to Staples Center along with the Kings in 1999 and eventually found a resting place on top of a tool box in Demers’ garage. And after 19 years, the former Kings head athletic trainer finally found a reason to drink it.
Out of the Stanley Cup, no less.
“The players poured it down the hatch and on my suit while they chanted ‘Pete! Pete! Pete!”’ Demers said Tuesday, a day after the Kings captured their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. “How about that? And that old rotten beer tasted great.”
Demers’ spoiled lager is just one of the really random things to be consumed out of the Stanley Cup.
— Brian Noonan and Nick Kypreos stuffed it with raw clams and oysters.
— Doug Weight and his family ate a gigantic ice cream sundae out of it.
(Picture courtesy Frozen Royalty)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)