Jun 13, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
Willie Desjardins spent last season as Glen Gulutzan’s right hand man.
Now he has Gulutzan’s old job.
Today, the Dallas Stars announced Desjardins would be moving from associate coach at the NHL level to head coach of their AHL affiliate in Texas — the job Gulutzan held for two season before becoming Stars head coach.
“We believe that Willie’s track record as a teacher of the game and his ability to develop young players is a perfect fit for the Texas Stars,” Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk told the team website. “His knowledge of Glen Gulutzan’s system and his familiarity with our prospects will continue to improve player development between Dallas and the Texas Stars.”
Prior to joining the Dallas organization, Desjardins established himself as an outstanding junior coach, building a powerhouse in WHL Medicine Hat and serving two stints on Canada’s coaching staff at the World Junior tournament, winning gold and silver respectively.
This move is very similar to the one we saw from Ottawa in late May. The Senators made assistant coach Luke Richardson the head man in AHL Binghamton after Kurt Kleinedorst turned down a contract offer.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)