Jun 13, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
According to multiple reports, the Vancouver Canucks have filed “cutdown” arbitration for winger Mason Raymond.
As the term “cutdown” may suggest, the Canucks want to pay Raymond less than he made last season ($2.6 million).
How much less? Well, the CBA says a team can’t request a salary reduction of greater than 15 percent, so the Canucks can’t argue for anything less than $2.21 million.
Of course, Raymond gets to make his case as well, after which the arbitrator delivers a verdict.
TSN”s Darren Dreger notes that the Canucks cannot walk away from the verdict. However, they do have the option of trading the speedy forward before or after arbitration.
Raymond had a disappointing 10 goals and 10 assists in 2011-12. Granted, he only made 55 appearances after missing the first part of the season with a serious back injury that was suffered in the Stanley Cup finals.
The 26-year-old’s best season was 2009-10 when he scored 25 times and added 28 assists.
“Mason is an important part of our team,” Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun, “and we plan for Mason to be a component of this team going forward.”
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)