Jun 13, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
According to multiple reports, the Vancouver Canucks have filed “cutdown” arbitration for winger Mason Raymond.
As the term “cutdown” may suggest, the Canucks want to pay Raymond less than he made last season ($2.6 million).
How much less? Well, the CBA says a team can’t request a salary reduction of greater than 15 percent, so the Canucks can’t argue for anything less than $2.21 million.
Of course, Raymond gets to make his case as well, after which the arbitrator delivers a verdict.
TSN”s Darren Dreger notes that the Canucks cannot walk away from the verdict. However, they do have the option of trading the speedy forward before or after arbitration.
Raymond had a disappointing 10 goals and 10 assists in 2011-12. Granted, he only made 55 appearances after missing the first part of the season with a serious back injury that was suffered in the Stanley Cup finals.
The 26-year-old’s best season was 2009-10 when he scored 25 times and added 28 assists.
“Mason is an important part of our team,” Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun, “and we plan for Mason to be a component of this team going forward.”
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2