Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Big day in the world of AHL coaching.
Shortly after Dallas moved associate coach Willie Desjardins to the head coaching gig in Texas, the St. Louis Blues announced they’d hired former Ottawa head coach Dave Allison to take the reins in Peoria.
“I am excited for the opportunity to join Peoria and coach these young men who are the future of the St. Louis Blues,” Allison told the team website. “To work again with Doug [Armstrong] and the quality people associated with the St Louis Blues organization is humbling and exciting for both myself and my family, and a responsibility I embrace and am grateful for.”
Allison first worked for Armstrong with the Stars, coaching their AHL affiliate (Iowa) from 2005-08. Armstrong was Dallas’ GM at the time.
Other quick notes:
– St. Louis’ gain is Pittsburgh’s loss as Allison was scouting for the Penguins. He will continue to work for the Pens through the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
– Allison is best remembered by NHL folk for becoming the second head coach of the Ottawa Senators (modern day version.) He took over from Rick Bowness at the end of the 1995-96 season on an interim basis. In 25 games, Allison went 2-22-1.
– A name curiously absent from today’s announcement? John Davidson, Blues team president. He’s reportedly locked in a “poker game” with new ownership, who may be looking to shed his $1.6 million salary.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 26
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)