Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Big day in the world of AHL coaching.
Shortly after Dallas moved associate coach Willie Desjardins to the head coaching gig in Texas, the St. Louis Blues announced they’d hired former Ottawa head coach Dave Allison to take the reins in Peoria.
“I am excited for the opportunity to join Peoria and coach these young men who are the future of the St. Louis Blues,” Allison told the team website. “To work again with Doug [Armstrong] and the quality people associated with the St Louis Blues organization is humbling and exciting for both myself and my family, and a responsibility I embrace and am grateful for.”
Allison first worked for Armstrong with the Stars, coaching their AHL affiliate (Iowa) from 2005-08. Armstrong was Dallas’ GM at the time.
Other quick notes:
— St. Louis’ gain is Pittsburgh’s loss as Allison was scouting for the Penguins. He will continue to work for the Pens through the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
— Allison is best remembered by NHL folk for becoming the second head coach of the Ottawa Senators (modern day version.) He took over from Rick Bowness at the end of the 1995-96 season on an interim basis. In 25 games, Allison went 2-22-1.
— A name curiously absent from today’s announcement? John Davidson, Blues team president. He’s reportedly locked in a “poker game” with new ownership, who may be looking to shed his $1.6 million salary.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)