Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Big day in the world of AHL coaching.
Shortly after Dallas moved associate coach Willie Desjardins to the head coaching gig in Texas, the St. Louis Blues announced they’d hired former Ottawa head coach Dave Allison to take the reins in Peoria.
“I am excited for the opportunity to join Peoria and coach these young men who are the future of the St. Louis Blues,” Allison told the team website. “To work again with Doug [Armstrong] and the quality people associated with the St Louis Blues organization is humbling and exciting for both myself and my family, and a responsibility I embrace and am grateful for.”
Allison first worked for Armstrong with the Stars, coaching their AHL affiliate (Iowa) from 2005-08. Armstrong was Dallas’ GM at the time.
Other quick notes:
— St. Louis’ gain is Pittsburgh’s loss as Allison was scouting for the Penguins. He will continue to work for the Pens through the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
— Allison is best remembered by NHL folk for becoming the second head coach of the Ottawa Senators (modern day version.) He took over from Rick Bowness at the end of the 1995-96 season on an interim basis. In 25 games, Allison went 2-22-1.
— A name curiously absent from today’s announcement? John Davidson, Blues team president. He’s reportedly locked in a “poker game” with new ownership, who may be looking to shed his $1.6 million salary.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 62
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)