Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Big day in the world of AHL coaching.
Shortly after Dallas moved associate coach Willie Desjardins to the head coaching gig in Texas, the St. Louis Blues announced they’d hired former Ottawa head coach Dave Allison to take the reins in Peoria.
“I am excited for the opportunity to join Peoria and coach these young men who are the future of the St. Louis Blues,” Allison told the team website. “To work again with Doug [Armstrong] and the quality people associated with the St Louis Blues organization is humbling and exciting for both myself and my family, and a responsibility I embrace and am grateful for.”
Allison first worked for Armstrong with the Stars, coaching their AHL affiliate (Iowa) from 2005-08. Armstrong was Dallas’ GM at the time.
Other quick notes:
— St. Louis’ gain is Pittsburgh’s loss as Allison was scouting for the Penguins. He will continue to work for the Pens through the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
— Allison is best remembered by NHL folk for becoming the second head coach of the Ottawa Senators (modern day version.) He took over from Rick Bowness at the end of the 1995-96 season on an interim basis. In 25 games, Allison went 2-22-1.
— A name curiously absent from today’s announcement? John Davidson, Blues team president. He’s reportedly locked in a “poker game” with new ownership, who may be looking to shed his $1.6 million salary.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)