Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Big day in the world of AHL coaching.
Shortly after Dallas moved associate coach Willie Desjardins to the head coaching gig in Texas, the St. Louis Blues announced they’d hired former Ottawa head coach Dave Allison to take the reins in Peoria.
“I am excited for the opportunity to join Peoria and coach these young men who are the future of the St. Louis Blues,” Allison told the team website. “To work again with Doug [Armstrong] and the quality people associated with the St Louis Blues organization is humbling and exciting for both myself and my family, and a responsibility I embrace and am grateful for.”
Allison first worked for Armstrong with the Stars, coaching their AHL affiliate (Iowa) from 2005-08. Armstrong was Dallas’ GM at the time.
Other quick notes:
— St. Louis’ gain is Pittsburgh’s loss as Allison was scouting for the Penguins. He will continue to work for the Pens through the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
— Allison is best remembered by NHL folk for becoming the second head coach of the Ottawa Senators (modern day version.) He took over from Rick Bowness at the end of the 1995-96 season on an interim basis. In 25 games, Allison went 2-22-1.
— A name curiously absent from today’s announcement? John Davidson, Blues team president. He’s reportedly locked in a “poker game” with new ownership, who may be looking to shed his $1.6 million salary.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 7
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 16
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 57
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22