Jun 13, 2012, 8:34 PM EST
It looks like Mark Messier and Bauer are set to team up to take on concussions. News surfaced today that Bauer bought Cascade Helmets Holdings Inc. for $64 million.
Cascade enlisted Messier to help promote a series of concussion-reducing helmets under the moniker “The Messier Project,” which you can learn more about here. That interesting development surfaced a few years ago, yet there was always the sense that a safer helmet wouldn’t gather steam unless a major manufacturer developed similar technology.
Seeing a company as large as Bauer make such an investment in Cascade is a fantastic sign that the industries powering the hockey world are taking concussion prevention more seriously. Hockey leagues both large and small still have room for improvement, but that will hopefully come with time. If these helmets make a significant difference in reducing one of hockey (and sports’) most worrisome problems, this agreement could be quite the breakthrough.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)