Jun 13, 2012, 8:34 PM EST
It looks like Mark Messier and Bauer are set to team up to take on concussions. News surfaced today that Bauer bought Cascade Helmets Holdings Inc. for $64 million.
Cascade enlisted Messier to help promote a series of concussion-reducing helmets under the moniker “The Messier Project,” which you can learn more about here. That interesting development surfaced a few years ago, yet there was always the sense that a safer helmet wouldn’t gather steam unless a major manufacturer developed similar technology.
Seeing a company as large as Bauer make such an investment in Cascade is a fantastic sign that the industries powering the hockey world are taking concussion prevention more seriously. Hockey leagues both large and small still have room for improvement, but that will hopefully come with time. If these helmets make a significant difference in reducing one of hockey (and sports’) most worrisome problems, this agreement could be quite the breakthrough.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)