Jun 12, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
Thornton, usually good for a quote or three, didn’t disappoint as he painted a picture of Thomas’ relationship with teammates.
“I didn’t expect it,” the Bruins forward said of Thomas’ sabbatical. “I don’t talk to him on a personal level. So I wouldn’t have been privy to that information anyways.
“If he needs some personal time then I’d rather have somebody coming in with their head and heart into it than just coming in and going through the motions.”
Thornton was complimentary of Thomas’ contributions, saying “he did a lot for this organization and a lot for this city and I think that we should be thankful for that.” But his overall message seemed to echo what many Boston players — including captain Zdeno Chara — have said about Thomas’ decision:
One, it caught them off guard. Two, they hadn’t discussed it with him.
“I haven’t had a chance to talk with Timmy yet. It is tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said in an interview last week. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision. We have to respect that.”
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)