Jun 12, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Thornton, usually good for a quote or three, didn’t disappoint as he painted a picture of Thomas’ relationship with teammates.
“I didn’t expect it,” the Bruins forward said of Thomas’ sabbatical. “I don’t talk to him on a personal level. So I wouldn’t have been privy to that information anyways.
“If he needs some personal time then I’d rather have somebody coming in with their head and heart into it than just coming in and going through the motions.”
Thornton was complimentary of Thomas’ contributions, saying “he did a lot for this organization and a lot for this city and I think that we should be thankful for that.” But his overall message seemed to echo what many Boston players — including captain Zdeno Chara — have said about Thomas’ decision:
One, it caught them off guard. Two, they hadn’t discussed it with him.
“I haven’t had a chance to talk with Timmy yet. It is tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said in an interview last week. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision. We have to respect that.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 22
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)