Jun 12, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
Thornton, usually good for a quote or three, didn’t disappoint as he painted a picture of Thomas’ relationship with teammates.
“I didn’t expect it,” the Bruins forward said of Thomas’ sabbatical. “I don’t talk to him on a personal level. So I wouldn’t have been privy to that information anyways.
“If he needs some personal time then I’d rather have somebody coming in with their head and heart into it than just coming in and going through the motions.”
Thornton was complimentary of Thomas’ contributions, saying “he did a lot for this organization and a lot for this city and I think that we should be thankful for that.” But his overall message seemed to echo what many Boston players — including captain Zdeno Chara — have said about Thomas’ decision:
One, it caught them off guard. Two, they hadn’t discussed it with him.
“I haven’t had a chance to talk with Timmy yet. It is tough news, but it’s important to him,” Chara said in an interview last week. “If he sits out the whole year, that’s his decision. We have to respect that.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)