Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Rob Scuderi is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and in each Stanley Cup finals he’s played in, he’s seen a huge play center around him.
Back in 2009, Scuderi earned a nickname amongst Pittsburgh Penguins faithful as “The Piece” thanks to his goal mouth work in helping Marc-Andre Fleury keep the Detroit Red Wings from scoring late in Game 6. Ask Penguins fans now and they’ll still crack a smile and remember Scuderi fondly for his efforts in helping the Penguins win the Cup that season.
Then there was last night.
By now you’ve seen Steve Bernier‘s reckless hit on Scuderi a thousand times. Bernier’s major penalty changed the game completely as the Kings would score three times on the power play on their way to winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Once again, it would be Scuderi finding a way to be center stage during the finals and becoming a folk hero of sorts for another fan base, only this time he’d be bloodied up wearing a face fitting of a hockey player.
After the game, Scuderi was typically understated about the play to Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider.
“It was a pretty hard hit. I haven’t seen it yet but, hey, whatever. At least we were able to capitalize on it and help us win the game.”
All part of the job for a defenseman like Scuderi. From being “The Piece” to surviving “The Hit” he’s got two Stanley Cup rings to wear as his badge of courage.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)