Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM EST
Rob Scuderi is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and in each Stanley Cup finals he’s played in, he’s seen a huge play center around him.
Back in 2009, Scuderi earned a nickname amongst Pittsburgh Penguins faithful as “The Piece” thanks to his goal mouth work in helping Marc-Andre Fleury keep the Detroit Red Wings from scoring late in Game 6. Ask Penguins fans now and they’ll still crack a smile and remember Scuderi fondly for his efforts in helping the Penguins win the Cup that season.
Then there was last night.
By now you’ve seen Steve Bernier‘s reckless hit on Scuderi a thousand times. Bernier’s major penalty changed the game completely as the Kings would score three times on the power play on their way to winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Once again, it would be Scuderi finding a way to be center stage during the finals and becoming a folk hero of sorts for another fan base, only this time he’d be bloodied up wearing a face fitting of a hockey player.
After the game, Scuderi was typically understated about the play to Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider.
“It was a pretty hard hit. I haven’t seen it yet but, hey, whatever. At least we were able to capitalize on it and help us win the game.”
All part of the job for a defenseman like Scuderi. From being “The Piece” to surviving “The Hit” he’s got two Stanley Cup rings to wear as his badge of courage.
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)