Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Rob Scuderi is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and in each Stanley Cup finals he’s played in, he’s seen a huge play center around him.
Back in 2009, Scuderi earned a nickname amongst Pittsburgh Penguins faithful as “The Piece” thanks to his goal mouth work in helping Marc-Andre Fleury keep the Detroit Red Wings from scoring late in Game 6. Ask Penguins fans now and they’ll still crack a smile and remember Scuderi fondly for his efforts in helping the Penguins win the Cup that season.
Then there was last night.
By now you’ve seen Steve Bernier‘s reckless hit on Scuderi a thousand times. Bernier’s major penalty changed the game completely as the Kings would score three times on the power play on their way to winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Once again, it would be Scuderi finding a way to be center stage during the finals and becoming a folk hero of sorts for another fan base, only this time he’d be bloodied up wearing a face fitting of a hockey player.
After the game, Scuderi was typically understated about the play to Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider.
“It was a pretty hard hit. I haven’t seen it yet but, hey, whatever. At least we were able to capitalize on it and help us win the game.”
All part of the job for a defenseman like Scuderi. From being “The Piece” to surviving “The Hit” he’s got two Stanley Cup rings to wear as his badge of courage.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)