Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Rob Scuderi is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and in each Stanley Cup finals he’s played in, he’s seen a huge play center around him.
Back in 2009, Scuderi earned a nickname amongst Pittsburgh Penguins faithful as “The Piece” thanks to his goal mouth work in helping Marc-Andre Fleury keep the Detroit Red Wings from scoring late in Game 6. Ask Penguins fans now and they’ll still crack a smile and remember Scuderi fondly for his efforts in helping the Penguins win the Cup that season.
Then there was last night.
By now you’ve seen Steve Bernier‘s reckless hit on Scuderi a thousand times. Bernier’s major penalty changed the game completely as the Kings would score three times on the power play on their way to winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Once again, it would be Scuderi finding a way to be center stage during the finals and becoming a folk hero of sorts for another fan base, only this time he’d be bloodied up wearing a face fitting of a hockey player.
After the game, Scuderi was typically understated about the play to Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider.
“It was a pretty hard hit. I haven’t seen it yet but, hey, whatever. At least we were able to capitalize on it and help us win the game.”
All part of the job for a defenseman like Scuderi. From being “The Piece” to surviving “The Hit” he’s got two Stanley Cup rings to wear as his badge of courage.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)