Jun 12, 2012, 9:29 AM EDT
Rob Scuderi is a two-time Stanley Cup champion and in each Stanley Cup finals he’s played in, he’s seen a huge play center around him.
Back in 2009, Scuderi earned a nickname amongst Pittsburgh Penguins faithful as “The Piece” thanks to his goal mouth work in helping Marc-Andre Fleury keep the Detroit Red Wings from scoring late in Game 6. Ask Penguins fans now and they’ll still crack a smile and remember Scuderi fondly for his efforts in helping the Penguins win the Cup that season.
Then there was last night.
By now you’ve seen Steve Bernier‘s reckless hit on Scuderi a thousand times. Bernier’s major penalty changed the game completely as the Kings would score three times on the power play on their way to winning the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Once again, it would be Scuderi finding a way to be center stage during the finals and becoming a folk hero of sorts for another fan base, only this time he’d be bloodied up wearing a face fitting of a hockey player.
After the game, Scuderi was typically understated about the play to Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider.
“It was a pretty hard hit. I haven’t seen it yet but, hey, whatever. At least we were able to capitalize on it and help us win the game.”
All part of the job for a defenseman like Scuderi. From being “The Piece” to surviving “The Hit” he’s got two Stanley Cup rings to wear as his badge of courage.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)