Jun 12, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Holmstrom, 39, told the paper he’s spoken to Wings GM Ken Holland and that the organization is “going to decide [in the] beginning of July what’s going to happen.”
As the Free Press’ Helene St. James points out, Holmstrom’s words seem to indicate that if the Wings want him back, he’d be open to returning. There was much speculation he, like recently-retired teammate Nicklas Lidstrom, would ride off into the sunset this offseason and call it a career.
But it appears that might not be the case.
More, from St. James:
The Wings want to add a top-six forward via free agency, and could decide some of their own players, like Cory Emmerton and Jan Mursak, don’t fit into the future. Regarding Holmstrom, both sides have the luxury to see what happens in early July, then go from there.
Wings head coach Mike Babcock said at the end of the season that if he’s to return, Holmstrom’s role would be primarily as a power play specialist and a fourth-line forward.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)