Jun 12, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
According to the Vancouver Sun, the Canucks might turn back the clock in finding a replacement for Craig MacTavish, who recently left his heading coaching post with Vancouver’s AHL affiliate in Chicago.
Scott Arniel — the former Columbus bench boss who coached Vancouver’s farm team when it was in Manitoba — is being considered as the club’s next coach.
“Scotty would be on our list, for sure,” said Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning. “There will probably be five or six guys and Scotty will be one.”
Arniel was fired by Columbus in January after a dismal 11-25-5 start to the campaign. He’s been out of work since, but sounded as though he’d relish the opportunity to get back in the coaching ranks, regardless of league.
“It is interesting,” Arniel told the Sun. “As a coach, you’re always looking at opportunities. I want to be an NHL head coach again but I don’t know if there is anything for me this year. Certainly there are some assistant jobs available but this one [Wolves] is intriguing.
“I know the organization very well and I’ve obviously worked with Mike Gillis and Lorne and Laurence Gilman. There is lots of respect there and I think we’ve had a really good arrangement in the past.”
Vancouver would need to speak with Columbus prior to officially contacting Arniel as he’s still under contract. That said, there does seem to be interest in having him coach the club’s prized prospects in Chicago, as Arniel has a reputation for working well with young players.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)