Jun 12, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Edmonton Oilers added to a roster already filled with first-round picks by agreeing to terms with Oscar Klefbom.
Klefbom, 18, inked a three-year entry-level contract with the Oilers after spending last season with Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League.
The 6-foot-3, 200-pound blueliner was taken 19th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, one of two picks Edmonton made in the opening round (the other was Calder Trophy nominee Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.)
For a team desperate to add talent and depth to the blueline, Klefbom is key. He was a rock for the gold medal-winning Swedish team at the 2012 World Juniors, capturing a first team All Star spot, and is regarded as a versatile defenseman with solid puck moving skills.
Should Klefbom make the Oilers next season, there could be as many as seven top-20 picks since 2007 in the Edmonton lineup: Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Colten Teubert and Sam Gagner.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)