Jun 12, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Edmonton Oilers added to a roster already filled with first-round picks by agreeing to terms with Oscar Klefbom.
Klefbom, 18, inked a three-year entry-level contract with the Oilers after spending last season with Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League.
The 6-foot-3, 200-pound blueliner was taken 19th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, one of two picks Edmonton made in the opening round (the other was Calder Trophy nominee Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.)
For a team desperate to add talent and depth to the blueline, Klefbom is key. He was a rock for the gold medal-winning Swedish team at the 2012 World Juniors, capturing a first team All Star spot, and is regarded as a versatile defenseman with solid puck moving skills.
Should Klefbom make the Oilers next season, there could be as many as seven top-20 picks since 2007 in the Edmonton lineup: Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Colten Teubert and Sam Gagner.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)