Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti reports that New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t talking about the many off-season questions ahead, but Gulitti points to an interesting quote regarding Martin Brodeur before the Stanley Cup finals began.
“I’ve said it all along. He’ll make the decision whether he wants to come back,” Lamoriello said. “I really don’t want to talk about it now, but Marty will be a Devil as long as he wants to be. I don’t think there’s ever something he and I have trouble with. I don’t want to see him put on any other uniform. I don’t think he wants to.”
Brodeur wasn’t shy about expressing his hopes to play in the NHL next season and one can only assume that he’s prefer to stick with the team that drafted him. That Lamoriello quote probably came from a couple of weeks ago, but it’s hard to imagine that the Devils soured on Brodeur after his often-impressive work in the Stanley Cup finals.
Still, both sides are leaving the door slightly ajar. Verbal caveats like “hopefully” show that it’s not a done deal, even though the long playoff run probably maintained that bond.
Of course, that great run also improves Brodeur’s earning potential, so it might just come down to contract demands (term might be the biggest concern). Both sides hope it’ll work out, then.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)