Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti reports that New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t talking about the many off-season questions ahead, but Gulitti points to an interesting quote regarding Martin Brodeur before the Stanley Cup finals began.
“I’ve said it all along. He’ll make the decision whether he wants to come back,” Lamoriello said. “I really don’t want to talk about it now, but Marty will be a Devil as long as he wants to be. I don’t think there’s ever something he and I have trouble with. I don’t want to see him put on any other uniform. I don’t think he wants to.”
Brodeur wasn’t shy about expressing his hopes to play in the NHL next season and one can only assume that he’s prefer to stick with the team that drafted him. That Lamoriello quote probably came from a couple of weeks ago, but it’s hard to imagine that the Devils soured on Brodeur after his often-impressive work in the Stanley Cup finals.
Still, both sides are leaving the door slightly ajar. Verbal caveats like “hopefully” show that it’s not a done deal, even though the long playoff run probably maintained that bond.
Of course, that great run also improves Brodeur’s earning potential, so it might just come down to contract demands (term might be the biggest concern). Both sides hope it’ll work out, then.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)