Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti reports that New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t talking about the many off-season questions ahead, but Gulitti points to an interesting quote regarding Martin Brodeur before the Stanley Cup finals began.
“I’ve said it all along. He’ll make the decision whether he wants to come back,” Lamoriello said. “I really don’t want to talk about it now, but Marty will be a Devil as long as he wants to be. I don’t think there’s ever something he and I have trouble with. I don’t want to see him put on any other uniform. I don’t think he wants to.”
Brodeur wasn’t shy about expressing his hopes to play in the NHL next season and one can only assume that he’s prefer to stick with the team that drafted him. That Lamoriello quote probably came from a couple of weeks ago, but it’s hard to imagine that the Devils soured on Brodeur after his often-impressive work in the Stanley Cup finals.
Still, both sides are leaving the door slightly ajar. Verbal caveats like “hopefully” show that it’s not a done deal, even though the long playoff run probably maintained that bond.
Of course, that great run also improves Brodeur’s earning potential, so it might just come down to contract demands (term might be the biggest concern). Both sides hope it’ll work out, then.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)