Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti reports that New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t talking about the many off-season questions ahead, but Gulitti points to an interesting quote regarding Martin Brodeur before the Stanley Cup finals began.
“I’ve said it all along. He’ll make the decision whether he wants to come back,” Lamoriello said. “I really don’t want to talk about it now, but Marty will be a Devil as long as he wants to be. I don’t think there’s ever something he and I have trouble with. I don’t want to see him put on any other uniform. I don’t think he wants to.”
Brodeur wasn’t shy about expressing his hopes to play in the NHL next season and one can only assume that he’s prefer to stick with the team that drafted him. That Lamoriello quote probably came from a couple of weeks ago, but it’s hard to imagine that the Devils soured on Brodeur after his often-impressive work in the Stanley Cup finals.
Still, both sides are leaving the door slightly ajar. Verbal caveats like “hopefully” show that it’s not a done deal, even though the long playoff run probably maintained that bond.
Of course, that great run also improves Brodeur’s earning potential, so it might just come down to contract demands (term might be the biggest concern). Both sides hope it’ll work out, then.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)