Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti reports that New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t talking about the many off-season questions ahead, but Gulitti points to an interesting quote regarding Martin Brodeur before the Stanley Cup finals began.
“I’ve said it all along. He’ll make the decision whether he wants to come back,” Lamoriello said. “I really don’t want to talk about it now, but Marty will be a Devil as long as he wants to be. I don’t think there’s ever something he and I have trouble with. I don’t want to see him put on any other uniform. I don’t think he wants to.”
Brodeur wasn’t shy about expressing his hopes to play in the NHL next season and one can only assume that he’s prefer to stick with the team that drafted him. That Lamoriello quote probably came from a couple of weeks ago, but it’s hard to imagine that the Devils soured on Brodeur after his often-impressive work in the Stanley Cup finals.
Still, both sides are leaving the door slightly ajar. Verbal caveats like “hopefully” show that it’s not a done deal, even though the long playoff run probably maintained that bond.
Of course, that great run also improves Brodeur’s earning potential, so it might just come down to contract demands (term might be the biggest concern). Both sides hope it’ll work out, then.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)