Jun 12, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk didn’t have a highlight-reel filling Stanley Cup finals. He scored just one goal, an empty-net tally in Game 4, and his Devils went down in six games to the Los Angeles Kings in his first real shot at winning it all.
Kovalchuk would have every reason to be sad and upset but instead he’s hopeful for the future as he tells Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger.
“All year long we showed a lot of character,” Ilya Kovalchuk said. “We played well on the road. We never gave up. We made it interesting, but it wasn’t enough.
“Like I said, those losses have to make us stronger. There was a lot of positive stuff. We’ll be better next year.”
Whether or not the Devils will actually be better next year is hard to bank on. They’ll return a lot of the same team, including Martin Brodeur (link), so that’s a good start. One guy they may be without though is Zach Parise as he’s an impending unrestricted free agent on July 1.
If Parise signs elsewhere, the Devils will have a very hard time replacing his skills. The Devils will need a lot more of the strong team play to make it happen. The only thing we know for sure is to never count the Devils out. Right when you think they’ll go away, they always find a way to surprise.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)