Jun 12, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk didn’t have a highlight-reel filling Stanley Cup finals. He scored just one goal, an empty-net tally in Game 4, and his Devils went down in six games to the Los Angeles Kings in his first real shot at winning it all.
Kovalchuk would have every reason to be sad and upset but instead he’s hopeful for the future as he tells Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger.
“All year long we showed a lot of character,” Ilya Kovalchuk said. “We played well on the road. We never gave up. We made it interesting, but it wasn’t enough.
“Like I said, those losses have to make us stronger. There was a lot of positive stuff. We’ll be better next year.”
Whether or not the Devils will actually be better next year is hard to bank on. They’ll return a lot of the same team, including Martin Brodeur (link), so that’s a good start. One guy they may be without though is Zach Parise as he’s an impending unrestricted free agent on July 1.
If Parise signs elsewhere, the Devils will have a very hard time replacing his skills. The Devils will need a lot more of the strong team play to make it happen. The only thing we know for sure is to never count the Devils out. Right when you think they’ll go away, they always find a way to surprise.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 10
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 3
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)