Jun 12, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
While Laperriere hasn’t played a game since the 2009-10 season — he suffered a serious concussion that would ultimately end his career — he stayed on the Flyers’ long-term injured reserve list over the last two years, working as a club mentor to injured players and encouraging them through their rehab.
Today, though, he called it quits.
“I’m just glad I had a chance to wear the orange and black,” Laperriere explained. “It’s something I would have missed, just to play for a team that cares so much about their fans and cares so much about their players.
“I’m not saying that everywhere else I played, they didn’t care about their players, but nothing compared to what the Flyers are.”
Laperriere said he plans to continue working with the organization and has thought about getting into the coaching ranks. That said, he made it clear he’s still plagued by post-concussion symptoms and re-iterated how appreciative he is of the Flyers.
“You see me at the rink and everything’s good, I have a smile on my face, but trust me, it’s been a really, really tough past two years,” he said. “I’m an actor, you guys know that. I can put on an actor face. When you get good people around you like I do in this organization, they really helped my transition.
“With those people that I really do talk about my future, they really listen and they give me great advice. I couldn’t be happier in that regard to finish my career and retire on this team, because I have all that support around me.”
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 8
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot