Jun 12, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
While Laperriere hasn’t played a game since the 2009-10 season — he suffered a serious concussion that would ultimately end his career — he stayed on the Flyers’ long-term injured reserve list over the last two years, working as a club mentor to injured players and encouraging them through their rehab.
Today, though, he called it quits.
“I’m just glad I had a chance to wear the orange and black,” Laperriere explained. “It’s something I would have missed, just to play for a team that cares so much about their fans and cares so much about their players.
“I’m not saying that everywhere else I played, they didn’t care about their players, but nothing compared to what the Flyers are.”
Laperriere said he plans to continue working with the organization and has thought about getting into the coaching ranks. That said, he made it clear he’s still plagued by post-concussion symptoms and re-iterated how appreciative he is of the Flyers.
“You see me at the rink and everything’s good, I have a smile on my face, but trust me, it’s been a really, really tough past two years,” he said. “I’m an actor, you guys know that. I can put on an actor face. When you get good people around you like I do in this organization, they really helped my transition.
“With those people that I really do talk about my future, they really listen and they give me great advice. I couldn’t be happier in that regard to finish my career and retire on this team, because I have all that support around me.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)