Jun 12, 2012, 5:53 PM EST
While Laperriere hasn’t played a game since the 2009-10 season — he suffered a serious concussion that would ultimately end his career — he stayed on the Flyers’ long-term injured reserve list over the last two years, working as a club mentor to injured players and encouraging them through their rehab.
Today, though, he called it quits.
“I’m just glad I had a chance to wear the orange and black,” Laperriere explained. “It’s something I would have missed, just to play for a team that cares so much about their fans and cares so much about their players.
“I’m not saying that everywhere else I played, they didn’t care about their players, but nothing compared to what the Flyers are.”
Laperriere said he plans to continue working with the organization and has thought about getting into the coaching ranks. That said, he made it clear he’s still plagued by post-concussion symptoms and re-iterated how appreciative he is of the Flyers.
“You see me at the rink and everything’s good, I have a smile on my face, but trust me, it’s been a really, really tough past two years,” he said. “I’m an actor, you guys know that. I can put on an actor face. When you get good people around you like I do in this organization, they really helped my transition.
“With those people that I really do talk about my future, they really listen and they give me great advice. I couldn’t be happier in that regard to finish my career and retire on this team, because I have all that support around me.”
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)