Jun 12, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
While Laperriere hasn’t played a game since the 2009-10 season — he suffered a serious concussion that would ultimately end his career — he stayed on the Flyers’ long-term injured reserve list over the last two years, working as a club mentor to injured players and encouraging them through their rehab.
Today, though, he called it quits.
“I’m just glad I had a chance to wear the orange and black,” Laperriere explained. “It’s something I would have missed, just to play for a team that cares so much about their fans and cares so much about their players.
“I’m not saying that everywhere else I played, they didn’t care about their players, but nothing compared to what the Flyers are.”
Laperriere said he plans to continue working with the organization and has thought about getting into the coaching ranks. That said, he made it clear he’s still plagued by post-concussion symptoms and re-iterated how appreciative he is of the Flyers.
“You see me at the rink and everything’s good, I have a smile on my face, but trust me, it’s been a really, really tough past two years,” he said. “I’m an actor, you guys know that. I can put on an actor face. When you get good people around you like I do in this organization, they really helped my transition.
“With those people that I really do talk about my future, they really listen and they give me great advice. I couldn’t be happier in that regard to finish my career and retire on this team, because I have all that support around me.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)