Jun 12, 2012, 12:15 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have won the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history. A 6-1 victory over New Jersey Monday at the Staples Center clinched the finals in six games.
Monday’s game will be remembered for the major penalty that Devils forward Steve Bernier was assessed at 10:10 of the first period after hitting L.A. defenseman Rob Scuderi from behind into the end boards. Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter and Trevor Lewis scored for the Kings on the resultant power play, and the game was all but over.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
For Los Angeles, it’s been a dream playoff run after qualifying as the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference. The Kings lost just four times in 20 postseason games and became the first team since the 2007 Anaheim Ducks to clinch the Cup on home ice.
Since entering the NHL in 1967, the Kings have suffered through numerous trying seasons. Up until this year, they’d managed to make the Cup finals just once, losing to Montreal in 1993.
The 2011-12 season wasn’t without its trying moments either. Head coach Terry Murray was fired in December after the team got off to a slow start and struggled badly offensively. John Stevens took over on an interim basis before Darryl Sutter was hired by embattled Kings general manager Dean Lombardi.
Lombardi also swung a major deal prior to the trade deadline, acquiring Carter from Columbus for Jack Johnson and a first-round draft pick.
The Devils did well to get back into the series after falling behind 3-0. However, with no margin for error, Bernier’s penalty proved to be the back-breaker.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)