Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Historically speaking, the Sutter family hasn’t had many problems spending time with the Stanley Cup. All told, the six hockey-playing Sutter brothers captured Lord Stanley’s mug six times, a fairly good ratio.
But dig a little deeper and there’s more to the story.
Two of the brothers — Brent and Duane — combined to win all six Cups while playing for the Islanders in the early 80s. Brent won two, Duane won four, the last of which came in 1983.
So in actuality, one-third of the Sutters (Ron, Rich, Brian and Darryl) had never won a Stanley Cup, and the family hadn’t seen it in 29 years — until last night, that is.
Darryl, the LA Kings head coach, became the third Sutter to ever hoist it, and now holds the unique distinction of being the first Sutter to win a Cup as a head coach.
Following a 6-1 win in Game 6, Sutter spoke to the media about what it means to him and the family.
Q. Darryl, can you take us back maybe to the last time the Stanley Cup was in Viking, at your mom’s house and what it’s like after all these years to get one?
COACH SUTTER: Dog (Duane) and Brent got their name on it six times. I wish each one of my brothers could have been on there. Take a run at it again. That’s the next thing.
Oh, those Sutters. Always wanting more.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)