Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Historically speaking, the Sutter family hasn’t had many problems spending time with the Stanley Cup. All told, the six hockey-playing Sutter brothers captured Lord Stanley’s mug six times, a fairly good ratio.
But dig a little deeper and there’s more to the story.
Two of the brothers — Brent and Duane — combined to win all six Cups while playing for the Islanders in the early 80s. Brent won two, Duane won four, the last of which came in 1983.
So in actuality, one-third of the Sutters (Ron, Rich, Brian and Darryl) had never won a Stanley Cup, and the family hadn’t seen it in 29 years — until last night, that is.
Darryl, the LA Kings head coach, became the third Sutter to ever hoist it, and now holds the unique distinction of being the first Sutter to win a Cup as a head coach.
Following a 6-1 win in Game 6, Sutter spoke to the media about what it means to him and the family.
Q. Darryl, can you take us back maybe to the last time the Stanley Cup was in Viking, at your mom’s house and what it’s like after all these years to get one?
COACH SUTTER: Dog (Duane) and Brent got their name on it six times. I wish each one of my brothers could have been on there. Take a run at it again. That’s the next thing.
Oh, those Sutters. Always wanting more.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)