Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Historically speaking, the Sutter family hasn’t had many problems spending time with the Stanley Cup. All told, the six hockey-playing Sutter brothers captured Lord Stanley’s mug six times, a fairly good ratio.
But dig a little deeper and there’s more to the story.
Two of the brothers — Brent and Duane — combined to win all six Cups while playing for the Islanders in the early 80s. Brent won two, Duane won four, the last of which came in 1983.
So in actuality, one-third of the Sutters (Ron, Rich, Brian and Darryl) had never won a Stanley Cup, and the family hadn’t seen it in 29 years — until last night, that is.
Darryl, the LA Kings head coach, became the third Sutter to ever hoist it, and now holds the unique distinction of being the first Sutter to win a Cup as a head coach.
Following a 6-1 win in Game 6, Sutter spoke to the media about what it means to him and the family.
Q. Darryl, can you take us back maybe to the last time the Stanley Cup was in Viking, at your mom’s house and what it’s like after all these years to get one?
COACH SUTTER: Dog (Duane) and Brent got their name on it six times. I wish each one of my brothers could have been on there. Take a run at it again. That’s the next thing.
Oh, those Sutters. Always wanting more.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)