Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 PM EST
On face value, Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini’s divorce headaches fall under the “rich people problems” category. Still, that uncomfortable process could negatively affect the team, most notably if the team’s financial information is made public.
Tracy Jackson, a lawyer for Taliah Aquilini, said her client was worried about Francesco Aquilini conducting himself “under a cloud of secrecy” in the litigation and in an “unreasonable” and “unnecessarily aggressive” manner.
“In fact, with the benefit of public scrutiny, Mr. Aquilini will be more likely to behave and conduct himself in the litigation in a more reasonable fashion.”
Jackson said that “the cat’s out of the bag” and where there is already publicity in a case, the courts should be less likely to grant a sealing order.
Follow the link for more details, which essentially often devolve into the uncomfortable accusations and bitter feelings that often fly around during divorce hearings.
For hockey fans, the most important bits revolve around whether or not this scenario might hamstring the Canucks financially in some way, although things could get even more messy/interesting if those records become available. It’s hard to imagine this situation becoming as damaging as the Los Angeles Dodgers’ recent nightmare, but we’ll need to wait and see.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)