Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
On face value, Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini’s divorce headaches fall under the “rich people problems” category. Still, that uncomfortable process could negatively affect the team, most notably if the team’s financial information is made public.
Tracy Jackson, a lawyer for Taliah Aquilini, said her client was worried about Francesco Aquilini conducting himself “under a cloud of secrecy” in the litigation and in an “unreasonable” and “unnecessarily aggressive” manner.
“In fact, with the benefit of public scrutiny, Mr. Aquilini will be more likely to behave and conduct himself in the litigation in a more reasonable fashion.”
Jackson said that “the cat’s out of the bag” and where there is already publicity in a case, the courts should be less likely to grant a sealing order.
Follow the link for more details, which essentially often devolve into the uncomfortable accusations and bitter feelings that often fly around during divorce hearings.
For hockey fans, the most important bits revolve around whether or not this scenario might hamstring the Canucks financially in some way, although things could get even more messy/interesting if those records become available. It’s hard to imagine this situation becoming as damaging as the Los Angeles Dodgers’ recent nightmare, but we’ll need to wait and see.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 28
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 87
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)