Jun 12, 2012, 5:06 PM EST
When people today discuss Clint Malarchuk and his severed jugular injury suffered back in 1989, few mention Jacques Cloutier, the goalie that came in and replaced him.
Malarchuk’s different. He thinks about Cloutier often.
“I love Jacques,” Malarchuk told the Calgary Herald. “I mean, this is the guy who had to go stand in my pool of blood in Buffalo. I never realized how much that would have affected Jacques. I feel bad.
“I should have told Jacques thank you a long, long time ago.”
Good news for Clint — it sounds like he’ll get the chance.
The Herald reports that Malarchuk, who served as the Flames’ goalie coach last season, will be retained by new head coach Bob Hartley for the 2012-13 season.
That means Malarchuk will be working alongside Cloutier, who Hartley hired as his assistant last week.
The pair were reunited on Monday at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary as Cloutier settled into his new digs. The goalie-turned-assistant had spent 12 years behind the bench in Colorado — winning Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001 — before joining Hartley in Zurich of the Swiss League last season.
Upon reuniting, Malarchuk and Cloutier shook hands and hugged.
“You know how goalies are always competing and not always the best of friends?” Malarchuk said. “I look back at Jacques now and realize that guy was one of my biggest supporters through that whole deal.
“No wonder he’s had a great career as a coach. He’s all about team.”
Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
X-rays on knee cap came back negative.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)