Jun 12, 2012, 5:06 PM EST
When people today discuss Clint Malarchuk and his severed jugular injury suffered back in 1989, few mention Jacques Cloutier, the goalie that came in and replaced him.
Malarchuk’s different. He thinks about Cloutier often.
“I love Jacques,” Malarchuk told the Calgary Herald. “I mean, this is the guy who had to go stand in my pool of blood in Buffalo. I never realized how much that would have affected Jacques. I feel bad.
“I should have told Jacques thank you a long, long time ago.”
Good news for Clint — it sounds like he’ll get the chance.
The Herald reports that Malarchuk, who served as the Flames’ goalie coach last season, will be retained by new head coach Bob Hartley for the 2012-13 season.
That means Malarchuk will be working alongside Cloutier, who Hartley hired as his assistant last week.
The pair were reunited on Monday at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary as Cloutier settled into his new digs. The goalie-turned-assistant had spent 12 years behind the bench in Colorado — winning Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001 — before joining Hartley in Zurich of the Swiss League last season.
Upon reuniting, Malarchuk and Cloutier shook hands and hugged.
“You know how goalies are always competing and not always the best of friends?” Malarchuk said. “I look back at Jacques now and realize that guy was one of my biggest supporters through that whole deal.
“No wonder he’s had a great career as a coach. He’s all about team.”
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)