Jun 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
As one of the New Jersey Devils’ surprising depth assets, it seemed like Steve Bernier wouldn’t be a “journeyman” player much longer. Now he’s likely to go down as one of the biggest goats in franchise history – fair or not.
Bernier delivered a hit from behind on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi, which earned the big Devils forward a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As you may know, the Kings made Bernier and the Devils pay dearly for that hit. Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Trevor Lewis found the net to give Los Angeles a 3-0 lead that many believe will be insurmountable.
Plenty of Devils fans and other observers assert that referees missed another call or two on the Kings around the time of that hit. (Peter DeBoer was upset about a Jarret Stoll hit on Stephen Gionta, for example.) Do you think that officials “blew it” tonight or was it just a stern – but fair – punishment for Bernier and the Devils?
Either way, it seems like Bernier’s chances of returning to the Devils probably rivals Scott Norwood’s chances of being the Buffalo Bills’ kicker after “wide right.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5