Jun 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
As one of the New Jersey Devils’ surprising depth assets, it seemed like Steve Bernier wouldn’t be a “journeyman” player much longer. Now he’s likely to go down as one of the biggest goats in franchise history – fair or not.
Bernier delivered a hit from behind on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi, which earned the big Devils forward a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As you may know, the Kings made Bernier and the Devils pay dearly for that hit. Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Trevor Lewis found the net to give Los Angeles a 3-0 lead that many believe will be insurmountable.
Plenty of Devils fans and other observers assert that referees missed another call or two on the Kings around the time of that hit. (Peter DeBoer was upset about a Jarret Stoll hit on Stephen Gionta, for example.) Do you think that officials “blew it” tonight or was it just a stern – but fair – punishment for Bernier and the Devils?
Either way, it seems like Bernier’s chances of returning to the Devils probably rivals Scott Norwood’s chances of being the Buffalo Bills’ kicker after “wide right.”
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)