Jun 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
As one of the New Jersey Devils’ surprising depth assets, it seemed like Steve Bernier wouldn’t be a “journeyman” player much longer. Now he’s likely to go down as one of the biggest goats in franchise history – fair or not.
Bernier delivered a hit from behind on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi, which earned the big Devils forward a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As you may know, the Kings made Bernier and the Devils pay dearly for that hit. Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Trevor Lewis found the net to give Los Angeles a 3-0 lead that many believe will be insurmountable.
Plenty of Devils fans and other observers assert that referees missed another call or two on the Kings around the time of that hit. (Peter DeBoer was upset about a Jarret Stoll hit on Stephen Gionta, for example.) Do you think that officials “blew it” tonight or was it just a stern – but fair – punishment for Bernier and the Devils?
Either way, it seems like Bernier’s chances of returning to the Devils probably rivals Scott Norwood’s chances of being the Buffalo Bills’ kicker after “wide right.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)