Jun 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
As one of the New Jersey Devils’ surprising depth assets, it seemed like Steve Bernier wouldn’t be a “journeyman” player much longer. Now he’s likely to go down as one of the biggest goats in franchise history – fair or not.
Bernier delivered a hit from behind on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi, which earned the big Devils forward a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As you may know, the Kings made Bernier and the Devils pay dearly for that hit. Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Trevor Lewis found the net to give Los Angeles a 3-0 lead that many believe will be insurmountable.
Plenty of Devils fans and other observers assert that referees missed another call or two on the Kings around the time of that hit. (Peter DeBoer was upset about a Jarret Stoll hit on Stephen Gionta, for example.) Do you think that officials “blew it” tonight or was it just a stern – but fair – punishment for Bernier and the Devils?
Either way, it seems like Bernier’s chances of returning to the Devils probably rivals Scott Norwood’s chances of being the Buffalo Bills’ kicker after “wide right.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)