Jun 11, 2012, 9:31 PM EST
As one of the New Jersey Devils’ surprising depth assets, it seemed like Steve Bernier wouldn’t be a “journeyman” player much longer. Now he’s likely to go down as one of the biggest goats in franchise history – fair or not.
Bernier delivered a hit from behind on Los Angeles Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi, which earned the big Devils forward a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As you may know, the Kings made Bernier and the Devils pay dearly for that hit. Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown and Trevor Lewis found the net to give Los Angeles a 3-0 lead that many believe will be insurmountable.
Plenty of Devils fans and other observers assert that referees missed another call or two on the Kings around the time of that hit. (Peter DeBoer was upset about a Jarret Stoll hit on Stephen Gionta, for example.) Do you think that officials “blew it” tonight or was it just a stern – but fair – punishment for Bernier and the Devils?
Either way, it seems like Bernier’s chances of returning to the Devils probably rivals Scott Norwood’s chances of being the Buffalo Bills’ kicker after “wide right.”
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 4
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 1
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8