Jun 11, 2012, 11:09 PM EST
Jonthan Quick has become just the 12th goalie in NHL history to capture both the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe in the same year.
While Quick had already had a stellar season — one that included a Vezina Trophy nomination and arguably the finest performance ever from a Kings netminder — this playoff run was his crowing achievement, putting him in the conversation for the best postseason goaltending performance of all-time.
Of course, there are others in that conversation, including the 11 previous goalies than hoisted both Lord Stanley’s mug and the Smythe in the same postseason:
Year | Goalie | Team | Age | Stats
1971: Ken Dryden, Montreal, 23 (12-8, 3.00 GAA)
1974: Bernie Parent, Philadelphia, 28 (12-5, 2.02 GAA)
1975: Parent, Philadelphia, 29 (10-5, 1.89 GAA)
1983: Billy Smith, New York Islanders, 32 (13-3 2.68 GAA)
1986: Patrick Roy, Montreal, 20 (15-5, 1.92 GAA. .923 save percentage)
1990: Bill Ranford, Edmonton, 23 (16-6, 2.53 GAA .912 save percentage)
1993: Roy, Montreal, 27 (16-4, 2.13 GAA, .929 save percentage)
1997: Mike Vernon, Detroit, 33 (16-4, 1.76 GAA, .927 save percentage)
2001: Roy, Colorado, 35 (16-7, 1.70, .934 save percentage)
2006: Cam Ward, Carolina 21(15-8, 2.14 GAA .920 save percentage)
2011: Tim Thomas, Boston, 36 (16-9, 1.98 GAA, .940 save percentage)
Quick finished the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs with a 16-4 record, 1.41 GAA and .945 save percentage. He led the postseason in every significant goaltending category — including shutouts (three) — and became just the third American player in league history to win playoff MVP, along with Rangers defenseman Brian Leetch (1994) and Bruins goalie Tim Thomas (2011).
The only blemishes on Quick’s resume were his gaffes against Phoenix (Derek Morris‘ center ice goal) and New Jersey (bad puckhandling on Zach Parise‘s goal). Aside from those, he was remarkably error-free. He played every minute for the Kings, won every game and didn’t once relinquish his goal to backup Jonathan Bernier.
Where Quick’s performance sits on the list of greatest goaltending performances is up for debate.
What’s not is that it belongs in the conversation.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)