Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable playoff runs ever, the Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings captured Lord Stanley’s mug in impressive fashion. As an eighth seed, they went a combined 16-4 through four rounds, knocking off the West’s top three seeds (Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix) in the process.
But hey, that was minutes ago. Let’s start looking to the future!
Next season, the Kings essentially return all the key components from this cup run. Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are locked up long term and it’s expected GM Dean Lombardi will soon begin work on extending the contract of Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick.
The team seemed to find its groove under head coach Darryl Sutter and have become one of the most dominant Cup winners of all time.
So, we ask…are the Kings poised to repeat as Cup champs?
Vote in our poll and let us know.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination