Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable playoff runs ever, the Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings captured Lord Stanley’s mug in impressive fashion. As an eighth seed, they went a combined 16-4 through four rounds, knocking off the West’s top three seeds (Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix) in the process.
But hey, that was minutes ago. Let’s start looking to the future!
Next season, the Kings essentially return all the key components from this cup run. Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are locked up long term and it’s expected GM Dean Lombardi will soon begin work on extending the contract of Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick.
The team seemed to find its groove under head coach Darryl Sutter and have become one of the most dominant Cup winners of all time.
So, we ask…are the Kings poised to repeat as Cup champs?
Vote in our poll and let us know.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5