Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
In one of the most improbable playoff runs ever, the Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings captured Lord Stanley’s mug in impressive fashion. As an eighth seed, they went a combined 16-4 through four rounds, knocking off the West’s top three seeds (Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix) in the process.
But hey, that was minutes ago. Let’s start looking to the future!
Next season, the Kings essentially return all the key components from this cup run. Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are locked up long term and it’s expected GM Dean Lombardi will soon begin work on extending the contract of Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick.
The team seemed to find its groove under head coach Darryl Sutter and have become one of the most dominant Cup winners of all time.
So, we ask…are the Kings poised to repeat as Cup champs?
Vote in our poll and let us know.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (141)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)