Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
In one of the most improbable playoff runs ever, the Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings captured Lord Stanley’s mug in impressive fashion. As an eighth seed, they went a combined 16-4 through four rounds, knocking off the West’s top three seeds (Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix) in the process.
But hey, that was minutes ago. Let’s start looking to the future!
Next season, the Kings essentially return all the key components from this cup run. Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are locked up long term and it’s expected GM Dean Lombardi will soon begin work on extending the contract of Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick.
The team seemed to find its groove under head coach Darryl Sutter and have become one of the most dominant Cup winners of all time.
So, we ask…are the Kings poised to repeat as Cup champs?
Vote in our poll and let us know.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)