Jun 11, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Travis Hughes passes along word from the Los Angeles Daily News that the Los Angeles Police Department is “preparing for the inevitable” shenanigans if the Los Angeles Kings capture the Stanley Cup tonight. In other words, the LAPD says that they’re taking “extraordinary measures” to limit or avoid a riot following Game 6.
Bob Strauss reports that officials will close streets as the night goes along in an attempt to prevent nonsense.
“We will be patrolling for crime prevention,” LAPD media relations officer Cleon Joseph said. “We’re going to have undercover details. We’re going to have field jails, mounted bike units, horse, scalping details. We’re just looking out for every little thing so that we can keep the peace.”
“We just want everybody to have a good time.”
Strauss notes that riots broke out after the Los Angeles Lakers won titles in 2009 and 2010. As you may remember, Vancouver erupted in an ugly scene after the Canucks lost Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals (pictured), although a Kings’ Game 6 loss probably wouldn’t inspire the same kind of anger.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)