Jun 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
The Stanley Cup finals can be a stressful time for everybody involved — players, coaches, management, officials…and yes, even media relations people.
At no time was this more evident than following New Jersey’s 2-1 win over Los Angeles in Game 5, during which the Devils’ PR team drew the ire of the Kings.
The Kings inadvertently sent out an email to the media that said they intended to delay getting stats to the New Jersey locker room between periods of Monday’s game.
“Jersey PR (whether it was their fault or not) didn’t get stats to our locker room until about two minutes left in the intermission. Our coaches were not happy about this. So we are going to do the same to them tomorrow.
“So unless you hear otherwise from me make sure their locker room does NOT get stats UNTIL about two minutes left to go in the intermission. Even if you literally have to eye the clock and wait. If they ask what’s taking so long just tell them our copy machines are down.”
“Can’t you just email us the stats, then?”
“Our emails are also down.”
“What about NHL.com?”
“Internet’s down, too.”
“How about you just tell me the stats?”
“We’ve all got laryngi…” *makes raspy wheeze noises*
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22