Jun 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
The Stanley Cup finals can be a stressful time for everybody involved — players, coaches, management, officials…and yes, even media relations people.
At no time was this more evident than following New Jersey’s 2-1 win over Los Angeles in Game 5, during which the Devils’ PR team drew the ire of the Kings.
The Kings inadvertently sent out an email to the media that said they intended to delay getting stats to the New Jersey locker room between periods of Monday’s game.
“Jersey PR (whether it was their fault or not) didn’t get stats to our locker room until about two minutes left in the intermission. Our coaches were not happy about this. So we are going to do the same to them tomorrow.
“So unless you hear otherwise from me make sure their locker room does NOT get stats UNTIL about two minutes left to go in the intermission. Even if you literally have to eye the clock and wait. If they ask what’s taking so long just tell them our copy machines are down.”
“Can’t you just email us the stats, then?”
“Our emails are also down.”
“What about NHL.com?”
“Internet’s down, too.”
“How about you just tell me the stats?”
“We’ve all got laryngi…” *makes raspy wheeze noises*
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12