Jun 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
The Stanley Cup finals can be a stressful time for everybody involved — players, coaches, management, officials…and yes, even media relations people.
At no time was this more evident than following New Jersey’s 2-1 win over Los Angeles in Game 5, during which the Devils’ PR team drew the ire of the Kings.
The Kings inadvertently sent out an email to the media that said they intended to delay getting stats to the New Jersey locker room between periods of Monday’s game.
“Jersey PR (whether it was their fault or not) didn’t get stats to our locker room until about two minutes left in the intermission. Our coaches were not happy about this. So we are going to do the same to them tomorrow.
“So unless you hear otherwise from me make sure their locker room does NOT get stats UNTIL about two minutes left to go in the intermission. Even if you literally have to eye the clock and wait. If they ask what’s taking so long just tell them our copy machines are down.”
“Can’t you just email us the stats, then?”
“Our emails are also down.”
“What about NHL.com?”
“Internet’s down, too.”
“How about you just tell me the stats?”
“We’ve all got laryngi…” *makes raspy wheeze noises*
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)