Kings captain Brown: “Tonight’s the night for this team”

Jun 11, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT

Dustin Brown versus Canucks

Held silent for most of the series, Kings captain Dustin Brown sounded like a confident man prior to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals at the Staples Center.

“I feel tonight’s the night for this team,” Brown told Mayor’s Manor. “It’s not about me or any other individual on this team. It’s about the team coming in ready to play and I think if we throw our ‘A’ game, I like our chances.”

The Kings are probably less than thrilled about losing consecutive games, but there is a silver lining — they get another opportunity to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug in front of the Los Angeles faithful. No team has won the Stanley Cup on home ice since the Anaheim Ducks did it at the Honda Center in 2007.

If the Kings are to win it tonight, they’ll certainly need better performances from their best offensive players. Brown has struggled throughout the Cup finals, going pointless in four of five games (he’s also mired in a nine-game goalless drought.)

Anze Kopitar has also struggled. Los Angeles’ leading postseason scorer has zero shots on goal over the last two games and just two shots in his past four — while never a true volume shooter, Kopitar had been firing pucks plenty through the first three rounds: 15 in five games against Vancouver, 14 in four games against St. Louis and 19 in five games against Phoenix.

Through five games of the Stanley Cup finals, Kopitar has six all told.

1. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Let’s hope brown is wrong. Would love to see the devils make history.

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Do you ever shut up? The Sharks are a horrendous franchise and i can see their fans are no different. Stay cupless my friend.

2. youdownwithjpp - Jun 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

What else is he supposed to say?

“I think we’re going to lose.”..?

3. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Oh I’m sorry, I mean go kings go. Who are you even a fan of?

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Not the San Jose Sharks aka Capitals West.

• youdownwithjpp - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I want in.

Is it the Flyers?

4. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

So whats your team?

5. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I have a feeling it’s the Rangers lol

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Kings fan you dolt.

6. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Not sure if my original statement posted, but I find it funny how a kings fan will use the sharks not having a cup as an insult. You must be a bandwagon fan.

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Wrong. Kings are currently playing for a cup. The Sharks have never even made the finals. Irony here is you guys are sitting at home. But here you are spouting nonsense.

Sharks blow.

7. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

What’s your point? You’re in the finals leading 3-2 against a devils team who are confident they will come back and win.
    How long have the kings been a team? Still no cup, playing in the finals doesn’t mean you have a cup.
    I know it’s hard to learn everything about hockey in a week. Bandwagon

• SmackSaw - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I’m a Habs fan. Shut up. The Sharks suck. The Kings have a much better tradition of trying to achieve greatness.

8. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I guess you’re lucky they won all those cups in the past. Habs fans can sit back no matter how much they suck and still say they have 24 cups.
    To bad the last one was in the 90’s against which team again?

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM

All you do is troll the Kings updates on this site. I can’t imagine how someone could be so lame, but here you are, being lame yet again.

Booted in the first round and have the nerve to talk down on a team that is still playing.

You lack sense and i hope the Sharks miss the playoffs next season.

9. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Troll kings blogs huh?
    If I recall all I said was I would like to see the devils make history. Yeah I want the kings to lose, what a shock.

10. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Oh and if you follow me around articles and see me “troll” like you claim, you would see that I never said anything negative about the kings.
    Just talking about what’s going on. Now the kings fans are the ones who start all te problems.

• dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Ive seen you make several comments this entire stanley cup. You are a snoozefest. take care junior.

11. sjsharks66 - Jun 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yeah like I said, nothing negative. Take it easy fair whether fan.

12. dannymac17 - Jun 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM