Jun 11, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Held silent for most of the series, Kings captain Dustin Brown sounded like a confident man prior to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals at the Staples Center.
“I feel tonight’s the night for this team,” Brown told Mayor’s Manor. “It’s not about me or any other individual on this team. It’s about the team coming in ready to play and I think if we throw our ‘A’ game, I like our chances.”
The Kings are probably less than thrilled about losing consecutive games, but there is a silver lining — they get another opportunity to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug in front of the Los Angeles faithful. No team has won the Stanley Cup on home ice since the Anaheim Ducks did it at the Honda Center in 2007.
If the Kings are to win it tonight, they’ll certainly need better performances from their best offensive players. Brown has struggled throughout the Cup finals, going pointless in four of five games (he’s also mired in a nine-game goalless drought.)
Anze Kopitar has also struggled. Los Angeles’ leading postseason scorer has zero shots on goal over the last two games and just two shots in his past four — while never a true volume shooter, Kopitar had been firing pucks plenty through the first three rounds: 15 in five games against Vancouver, 14 in four games against St. Louis and 19 in five games against Phoenix.
Through five games of the Stanley Cup finals, Kopitar has six all told.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (122)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)