Jun 11, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Held silent for most of the series, Kings captain Dustin Brown sounded like a confident man prior to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals at the Staples Center.
“I feel tonight’s the night for this team,” Brown told Mayor’s Manor. “It’s not about me or any other individual on this team. It’s about the team coming in ready to play and I think if we throw our ‘A’ game, I like our chances.”
The Kings are probably less than thrilled about losing consecutive games, but there is a silver lining — they get another opportunity to hoist Lord Stanley’s mug in front of the Los Angeles faithful. No team has won the Stanley Cup on home ice since the Anaheim Ducks did it at the Honda Center in 2007.
If the Kings are to win it tonight, they’ll certainly need better performances from their best offensive players. Brown has struggled throughout the Cup finals, going pointless in four of five games (he’s also mired in a nine-game goalless drought.)
Anze Kopitar has also struggled. Los Angeles’ leading postseason scorer has zero shots on goal over the last two games and just two shots in his past four — while never a true volume shooter, Kopitar had been firing pucks plenty through the first three rounds: 15 in five games against Vancouver, 14 in four games against St. Louis and 19 in five games against Phoenix.
Through five games of the Stanley Cup finals, Kopitar has six all told.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)