Jun 11, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
The Goldwater Institute will indeed challenge Friday’s vote by Glendale city council that approved a 20-year lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena with prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison.
It’s not the terms of the lease that Goldwater will be disputing (Jamison’s investment group will receive $15 million annually to run the arena). Not yet anyway.
Rather, the taxpayer watchdog group says the city wasn’t forthcoming with the details of the deal in the run-up to the vote, and that there wasn’t enough time for an appropriate review.
Goldwater tried Friday to block the vote outright in court, but the judge said she couldn’t legally stop it. However, she did acknowledge “clear violations” of a 2009 court order that all documents be provided in a timely fashion, leaving open the possibility the vote could be voided.
A Goldwater spokesperson told PHT the “logistics” of the challenge are still to be determined.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36