Jun 11, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
The NHL has produced some great Cinderella stories over the years, but even among them, the Los Angeles Kings, who posted a 6-1 victory in Game 6, are unique. We’ve seen a No. 8 seed make it all the way to the finals before, but Monday night was the first time we’ve seen one win the Cup.
Here’s a few facts to chew on after a historic night of hockey:
— The Los Angeles Kings eliminated the top three seeds in the Western Conference en route to the Stanley Cup finals.
— This is the first time since 2007 that the Stanley Cup was awarded to the home team.
— Dustin Brown found the back of the net and Jeff Carter scored twice on Monday. Both of them finished the playoffs with eighth goals to join a rather large tie for first place in the NHL. Also part of that tie were Ilya Kovalchuk, Anze Kopitar, Zach Parise, Claude Giroux, and Danny Briere. Giroux and Briere are of course notable for being on that list despite the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were eliminated in the second round.
— The team that scored first won every single game of the Stanley Cup finals.
— This is the Los Angeles Kings’ day, but the New Jersey Devils also pulled off some impressive feats during their run. They finished with a 10-2 record in Games 4-7 of playoff series. On top of that, they tied the NHL record for most elimination games won in a single postseason run with four.
— Speaking of the Devils, Martin Brodeur is tied for sixth place in the history of the NHL with 17 victories in the Stanley Cup finals. Jacques Plante’s 25 Stanley Cup finals wins looks like one of the safest records out there.
— We finished with 50 playoff games decided with by just one goal. That’s one game shy of the league record, set in 2007.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22