Jun 11, 2012, 10:54 PM EST
The NHL has produced some great Cinderella stories over the years, but even among them, the Los Angeles Kings, who posted a 6-1 victory in Game 6, are unique. We’ve seen a No. 8 seed make it all the way to the finals before, but Monday night was the first time we’ve seen one win the Cup.
Here’s a few facts to chew on after a historic night of hockey:
— The Los Angeles Kings eliminated the top three seeds in the Western Conference en route to the Stanley Cup finals.
— This is the first time since 2007 that the Stanley Cup was awarded to the home team.
— Dustin Brown found the back of the net and Jeff Carter scored twice on Monday. Both of them finished the playoffs with eighth goals to join a rather large tie for first place in the NHL. Also part of that tie were Ilya Kovalchuk, Anze Kopitar, Zach Parise, Claude Giroux, and Danny Briere. Giroux and Briere are of course notable for being on that list despite the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were eliminated in the second round.
— The team that scored first won every single game of the Stanley Cup finals.
— This is the Los Angeles Kings’ day, but the New Jersey Devils also pulled off some impressive feats during their run. They finished with a 10-2 record in Games 4-7 of playoff series. On top of that, they tied the NHL record for most elimination games won in a single postseason run with four.
— Speaking of the Devils, Martin Brodeur is tied for sixth place in the history of the NHL with 17 victories in the Stanley Cup finals. Jacques Plante’s 25 Stanley Cup finals wins looks like one of the safest records out there.
— We finished with 50 playoff games decided with by just one goal. That’s one game shy of the league record, set in 2007.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)