Jun 11, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
“I think you have to hate your opponent right away and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for either side,” he said.
Yet in the first four games of the series, not once were coincidental minors called. Forget finger-biting, there was barely pushing and shoving.
Not that anyone expected Devils-Kings to match Bruins-Canucks in hate – that series was extraordinarily malicious, and the three blowouts in Boston presented plenty of occasions to mix it up.
Still, for those that like their hockey with a little spite, Game 5 was a welcome sight.
With the Kings pressing in the third period, Mike Richards charged into Martin Brodeur causing a scrum in front of the net (during which Jeff Carter took the opportunity to yank Brodeur’s sweater over his head.)
“I think that’s just what happens,” said Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. “You create those rivalries with individual players, or just in general, the whole team, you learn to hate. They want it so bad and we want it so bad. That’s just what is going to happen on the ice. You’re going to have those battles after the whistle and between the whistles. It’s part of hockey and that’s why we love it.’’
Let’s hope it continues tonight.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 11
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 23
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)