Jun 11, 2012, 6:10 PM EST
“I think you have to hate your opponent right away and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for either side,” he said.
Yet in the first four games of the series, not once were coincidental minors called. Forget finger-biting, there was barely pushing and shoving.
Not that anyone expected Devils-Kings to match Bruins-Canucks in hate – that series was extraordinarily malicious, and the three blowouts in Boston presented plenty of occasions to mix it up.
Still, for those that like their hockey with a little spite, Game 5 was a welcome sight.
With the Kings pressing in the third period, Mike Richards charged into Martin Brodeur causing a scrum in front of the net (during which Jeff Carter took the opportunity to yank Brodeur’s sweater over his head.)
“I think that’s just what happens,” said Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. “You create those rivalries with individual players, or just in general, the whole team, you learn to hate. They want it so bad and we want it so bad. That’s just what is going to happen on the ice. You’re going to have those battles after the whistle and between the whistles. It’s part of hockey and that’s why we love it.’’
Let’s hope it continues tonight.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)