Jun 11, 2012, 6:10 PM EST
“I think you have to hate your opponent right away and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for either side,” he said.
Yet in the first four games of the series, not once were coincidental minors called. Forget finger-biting, there was barely pushing and shoving.
Not that anyone expected Devils-Kings to match Bruins-Canucks in hate – that series was extraordinarily malicious, and the three blowouts in Boston presented plenty of occasions to mix it up.
Still, for those that like their hockey with a little spite, Game 5 was a welcome sight.
With the Kings pressing in the third period, Mike Richards charged into Martin Brodeur causing a scrum in front of the net (during which Jeff Carter took the opportunity to yank Brodeur’s sweater over his head.)
“I think that’s just what happens,” said Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. “You create those rivalries with individual players, or just in general, the whole team, you learn to hate. They want it so bad and we want it so bad. That’s just what is going to happen on the ice. You’re going to have those battles after the whistle and between the whistles. It’s part of hockey and that’s why we love it.’’
Let’s hope it continues tonight.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)