Jun 11, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
“I think you have to hate your opponent right away and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem for either side,” he said.
Yet in the first four games of the series, not once were coincidental minors called. Forget finger-biting, there was barely pushing and shoving.
Not that anyone expected Devils-Kings to match Bruins-Canucks in hate – that series was extraordinarily malicious, and the three blowouts in Boston presented plenty of occasions to mix it up.
Still, for those that like their hockey with a little spite, Game 5 was a welcome sight.
With the Kings pressing in the third period, Mike Richards charged into Martin Brodeur causing a scrum in front of the net (during which Jeff Carter took the opportunity to yank Brodeur’s sweater over his head.)
“I think that’s just what happens,” said Kings defenseman Drew Doughty. “You create those rivalries with individual players, or just in general, the whole team, you learn to hate. They want it so bad and we want it so bad. That’s just what is going to happen on the ice. You’re going to have those battles after the whistle and between the whistles. It’s part of hockey and that’s why we love it.’’
Let’s hope it continues tonight.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games