Jun 11, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
Heading into his third consecutive elimination game of the Stanley Cup finals, Peter DeBoer said the pressure prior to Game 6 is no different than before.
“I think it’s the same feeling as when we were down 3-0,” he said after New Jersey’s pregame skate. “Like I said, I think the hockey world pretty much wrote us off, and I think we feel we’ve played with no pressure because of that.
“I don’t think that’s changed because all of a sudden it’s 3-2 now.”
DeBoer’s right in saying the hockey world wrote the Devils off…but to be fair, the hockey world was right to do it. Nobody expected this to get to Game 6 , and that isn’t a surprise — New Jersey is just the third club to win two straight after falling behind 0-3 in the Stanley Cup finals, and the first to do it since 1945.
(In ’45, Toronto led Detroit 3-0 before the Wings rallied to win three straight — only to lose Game 7. In 1942, Detroit led three games to none before Toronto ripped off four straight wins, for the first and only 0-3 comeback in Cup finals history.)
That said, the Devils keep insisting this isn’t about making history, but rather winning the Stanley Cup. The Kings, too, also aren’t interested in making history.
“Game 4 was a new situations for fans and a lot of players,” L.A. captain Dustin Brown said. “We have a lot more calmness about us today.
“I feel tonight’s the night for our team.”
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
Nov 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Two-time Jack Adams winner coached Canada to Olympic gold in 2002.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
The new Holmstrom?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 AM EST
He was 84.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)